Associate cannot keep to the speed limit

Topics relating to Advanced Driving in cars
titian

Re: Associate cannot keep to the speed limit

Postby titian » Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:07 am

Horse nailed it, she really must have a desire/motivation to keep to the posted limits, otherwise you or anyone else is just wasting their time with her. Other than speeding is her driving at an advanced standard?

angus

Postby angus » Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:36 pm

Additional thought: have you started her on commentary? Including both current restriction and indicated speed might help.

PhilAsia

Postby PhilAsia » Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:41 pm

Part and parcel of a visual scanning process is to make sure your vehicle is performing as it should.

I would get het her to announce her indicated speed every nearside lamppost.

Then whack her with a stick!

crr003

Postby crr003 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:44 pm

titian wrote:Horse nailed it, she really must have a desire/motivation to keep to the posted limits, otherwise you or anyone else is just wasting their time with her. Other than speeding is her driving at an advanced standard?

Did he?
Who knows what her motivation is and does it really matter? She has to perform some rather basic and legal GDE level 1 procedures to win the prize of a test pass.
I know people who've complied with various rules in order to pass tests and then promptly drive as they see fit. It's an understanding/control issue.

Another thought - does the speedometer have a 30 graduation marked, or is there a 20 and a 40 - I've seen people who don't understand where 30 actually is. If it's a big digital display, then there's nowhere to hide!

waremark

Postby waremark » Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:51 pm

Speedo is clearly marked. Has started commentary - next time will ask her to tell me limit and her speed very frequently. Don't consider using an unnaturally low gear to be good practice. She really does want to keep to posted limits. In other respects her driving is about advanced standard.

waremark

Postby waremark » Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:53 pm

"it seems as though she wants to be within the speed limit just so that she is not done for speeding - "

That would be me. Not you? Is that a problem?

Horse

Postby Horse » Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:40 pm

crr003 wrote: does it really matter?

I think so, on some courses it was one of the first things I asked.

crr003 wrote:
titian wrote:Horse nailed it,

Did he?
Who knows what her motivation?

If you don't ask, you'll never know.
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:51 pm

waremark wrote:I particularly like "stick to beat them with ... Not in the IAM Observers manual! :)"!

Standard issue at old-fashioned Police driving schools according to legend.

If you get one of these you can even get it personalised, so if you use it hard enough you can leave your signature on them!

https://www.love-up.co.uk/product/personalised-wooden-ruler/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI96fFmqCo2QIVqRXTCh2nNwV3EAkYAiABEgIXq_D_BwE
Nick

akirk

Postby akirk » Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:14 pm

waremark wrote:
akirk wrote:it seems as though she wants to be within the speed limit just so that she is not done for speeding

That would be me. Not you? Is that a problem?

Not a problem - but it helps in terms of understanding motivation - and the mental process - if that is her only reason for wanting to be within the speed limit then her natural instincts may be fighting it - if you can get her to understand / own the need to be within those limits for the test, then that adds another dimension which may help - it will only be by owning the logic behind speed limits that change will go beyond that - which may be why many AD drives observe the speed limits in 30s but are less concerned by well sighted NSL

ALasdair

titian

Postby titian » Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:27 pm

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner wrote:Post by Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:51 pm

waremark wrote:
I particularly like "stick to beat them with ... Not in the IAM Observers manual! :)"!

Standard issue at old-fashioned Police driving schools according to legend.

If you get one of these you can even get it personalised, so if you use it hard enough you can leave your signature on them!

https://www.love-up.co.uk/product/perso ... gIXq_D_BwE

Hey, none of that please, a surgeon recently found to his cost that to leave his initials etched into the patients liver was deemed unacceptable!

Return to “Advanced Driving - Cars”