Cognitive bias and the "thirds" rule

Topics relating to Advanced Driving in cars
Horse

Re: Cognitive bias and the "thirds" rule

Postby Horse » Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:53 pm

Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

hir

Re: Masters assessment

Postby hir » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:02 am

Horse wrote:
hir wrote: But, that does raise the question as to why you use the word "continuous"? Are you using it in the context of being focused upon, or concentrated on, the far distance.

Nope, simply to separate it from discontinuous views, where sections of road are visible.

I now understand. I read the word "view" as being a verb; not as a noun as you intended. And, yes, I know, "continuous" is an adjective and should have given me the clue I needed as to the use of the word "view". And yes, I accept that this error is probably the most egregious example of cognitive bias ever recorded on this forum. I hang my head in shame. :o :o :lol:

But never mind; all's well that ends well. :D

Horse

Postby Horse » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:41 am

Transmit - receive error. If you didn't understand, then I wasn't clear :)

"Egregs, I've had a few"? ;)

Horse

Postby Horse » Tue Dec 26, 2017 11:31 pm

I heard some time ago that people will require 4x the amount of positive comments to balance out negative (ie the 'sandwich' feedback method of + - + might be insufficient).

This might support that:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-42329014

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:57 am

The danger of a ++++ - ++++ sandwich is that you give an Associate/Pupil an over inflated false sense of their abilities and may appear a bit 'gushy'. To be honest when training observers they tend to start out with brain dump feedback of -----------------+-- style.

Sadly some of us are genetically programmed in 'glass less than 50% full' mode all the time, even when the glass is actually 80+% full. :(
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

Gareth

Postby Gareth » Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:12 am

While it must depend of the character to the associate, the reason they're there is to find what they might do better, so they're more focussed on the negatives than the positives.
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...

Horse

Postby Horse » Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:27 pm

1/2 full or 1/2 empty?

An engineer might suggest that it's simply twice the size it needs to be :)

Horse

Postby Horse » Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:25 am

http://www.highwaysindustry.com/m1-fata ... tter+No360

Defence collision investigator Robert Wagstaff – who is not related to his namesake – told Reading Crown Court on Tuesday that he thought the defendant was on “autopilot”, and part of the reason he crashed into the minibus was because he was suffering from “inattentional blindness”, where an individual without any visual problems fails to see something that is in plain sight.

The witness said the phenomenon occurs when someone is concentrating on something else, like a mobile phone conversation, even if it is being used in a hands free situation, as the defendant claims it was.

jont-

Postby jont- » Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:50 am

Horse wrote:http://www.highwaysindustry.com/m1-fatal-crash-driver-may-autopilot-court-told/?utm_source=wysija&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Newsletter+No360

Defence collision investigator Robert Wagstaff – who is not related to his namesake – told Reading Crown Court on Tuesday that he thought the defendant was on “autopilot”, and part of the reason he crashed into the minibus was because he was suffering from “inattentional blindness”, where an individual without any visual problems fails to see something that is in plain sight.

The witness said the phenomenon occurs when someone is concentrating on something else, like a mobile phone conversation, even if it is being used in a hands free situation, as the defendant claims it was.

It's going to get more common as ADAS systems get better and drivers deskill :(

Horse

Postby Horse » Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:56 pm

jont- wrote:
Horse wrote:http://www.highwaysindustry.com/m1-fatal-crash-driver-may-autopilot-court-told/?utm_source=wysija&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Newsletter+No360

It's going to get more common as ADAS systems get better and drivers deskill :(

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/01/2 ... lot_crash/

Return to “Advanced Driving - Cars”