Driving instructors and learners - do they drive like each other?

Topics relating to Advanced Driving in cars
Horse

Re: Driving instructors and learners - do they drive like each other?

Postby Horse » Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:25 pm

OK, my knowledge of it is from a colleague who's VW suffered a dodgy brake light switch.
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

Gareth

Postby Gareth » Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:29 pm

kfae8959 wrote:my understanding of the most common Bosch ECUs is that they cut the throttle if the brakes are applied while the throttle is open, but not if it is opened after the brake pedal is pressed. If my understanding is correct, then closing the throttle, braking, and rolling onto the throttle again to rev-match, should work, but left foot braking will cut the power.

There seems to be considerable variation; our Skoda diesels from 2004 and 2005 appear to cut the throttle a little over a second after the start of braking, and won't re-enable the throttle until braking has ended. I think it _may_ be due to the type of cruise control that was fitted, because I've heard of other slightly newer VAG cars which don't behave like this.
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...

jcochrane
Location: Surrey-Kent borders and wherever good driving roads are.

Postby jcochrane » Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:41 pm

Hi David. I don’t know whether fitted with the Bosch system or not but so far when driving. for example a Skoda, with cut outs that even closing the throttle first before braking does not seem to then allow heel n toe. I could not understand this oddity when first in a car that did this. Stopped the car a couple of times to try and work out what I was doing wrong. With the car stationary could do it with no problem just not on the move. Then the car owner explained it was not me but the car.

waremark

Postby waremark » Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:26 am

kfae8959 wrote:
Horse wrote:I don't know how often you change (buy or borrow) cars, but you may be in for an unwelcome surprise if you try that in some other modern cars, which switch the throttle off if the brakes are applied.

waremark mentions that he has come across cars that don't allow heel and toe, but my understanding of the most common Bosch ECUs is that they cut the throttle if the brakes are applied while the throttle is open, but not if it is opened after the brake pedal is pressed. If my understanding is correct, then closing the throttle, braking, and rolling onto the throttle again to rev-match, should work, but left foot braking will cut the power.

David

Have experienced cars which do not work as you describe - which would be fine. Have you driven a mutual friend's diesel A2?

Pontoneer

Postby Pontoneer » Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:33 am

GTR1400MAN wrote:I can turn my ABS off by going into Race mode. That turns everything off and I'd never use it on the road.

Sport mode detunes ESC sensitivity while using more revs by holding each gear longer (it also alters the timing/fuel a little). You can hold the sport mode button in to then flip through some options on ESC, ABS etc. But who needs that complexity when driving? I just use 'normal' around town/dual carriageways and toggle to sport (and manual gear changes) on B roads.

I seem to recall that some early ABS cars ( although not Mercedes-Benz , who were the primary implementers of the Bosch system , with the W116 450SEL 6.9 being the first production car to have it as an option ) had an off switch because it was reckoned there were some situations where a car would stop quicker without it - the usually quoted one being on snow where it was claimed that it was better to lock the wheels and let a wedge of snow build up in front of them ...

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:22 am

jcochrane wrote:... when driving. for example a Skoda, with cut outs that even closing the throttle first before braking does not seem to then allow heel n toe ...

Not all cars, not even all Skodas, are the same. My diesel Octavia VRS (2016) happily allows heel and toe. I use it all the time.

Gareth has two Skodas, that behave differently from each other.
Nick

jcochrane
Location: Surrey-Kent borders and wherever good driving roads are.

Postby jcochrane » Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:57 am

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner wrote:
jcochrane wrote:... when driving. for example a Skoda, with cut outs that even closing the throttle first before braking does not seem to then allow heel n toe ...

Not all cars, not even all Skodas, are the same. My diesel Octavia VRS (2016) happily allows heel and toe. I use it all the time.

Gareth has two Skodas, that behave differently from each other.

Very true, that’s why I was so confused. Thankfully heel n toe is possible on my new car. :D

fungus

Postby fungus » Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:41 pm

I find heel and toe easier in my Fiesta than in my wifes 2012 Octavia tdi, which is over servo'd

Nigel.

Return to “Advanced Driving - Cars”