100 Year Old Driving School

Topics relating to Advanced Driving in cars
Horse

Re: 100 Year Old Driving School

Postby Horse » Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:31 pm

crr003 wrote:
GTR1400MAN wrote:One of the most common elderly accidents is shooting off in an automatic. I'd have thought haandbrake/neutral is still good practice in a real auto?

4% of RTCs - "most common"??? But this is an old document, it can only get worse as people live longer.
Section 3.11
"The vast majority of UA crashes involved older drivers of automatic cars
accelerating suddenly, either forward or reversing, and usually while carrying out
low-speed manoeuvring such as parking and reversing."

Wonder if the numbers will increase as elctric vehicles become more common . . . ?
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:06 pm

crr003 wrote:
GTR1400MAN wrote:One of the most common elderly accidents is shooting off in an automatic. I'd have thought haandbrake/neutral is still good practice in a real auto?

4% of RTCs - "most common"??? But this is an old document, it can only get worse as people live longer.
Section 3.11
"The vast majority of UA crashes involved older drivers of automatic cars
accelerating suddenly, either forward or reversing, and usually while carrying out
low-speed manoeuvring such as parking and reversing."

Don't let statistics spoil my generalisation! :swords: :lol:
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

crr003

Postby crr003 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:26 pm

The problem is that this is the tip of the iceberg - a few brave volunteers or those forced into it by concerned relatives.
IAM tells me that the number of drivers over the age of 70 will double in the next 20 years with one million older than 80.
Autonomous cars can't come soon enough!

Return to “Advanced Driving - Cars”