Dutch Reach

Topics relating to Advanced Driving in cars
ancient

Re: Dutch Reach

Postby ancient » Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:54 pm

Horse wrote:
ancient wrote:As for the Dutch Reach, I prefer to use properly adjusted door mirrors

I fold the mirrors up when parking, so use the inside mirror, then open the door slightly, listen for engines then look for bikes.

My mirrors will fold with engine off and door open. I use the mirrors to check it is clear, get out, press the fold button and close the door. Car folds itself away ... Sorry, no - this timeline :lol: mirrors fold as I shut the door. I had assumed all folding mirrors could do that (as folding them before getting out makes them less useful)?

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:23 pm

My mirrors fold when I activate the switch, rendering them useless for exiting the vehicle.

I've been using the centre mirror like Horse, but may try activating them after I've opened the door. It should still work, though I'm not sure as everything else turns off on opening the door (radio, satnav, interior lights with a slow motion fade).
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

jont-

Postby jont- » Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:37 pm

My mirrors will only fold while the ignition is in the 2 position - so wrt switching off, you need to do it before you turn the engine off :headbang:

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:59 pm

Ignition switch ... how quaint :)
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

Horse

Postby Horse » Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:51 pm

GTR1400MAN wrote:Is there any other way to open the door? Why would you use the arm nearest the door and have to twist/contort your wrist to reach the handle?

I will have to watch other people get out of my car.

In my Ibiza, the door latch is close to where my right hand is on the wheel, if I keep my thumb vertical on the wheel my fingertips just touch the latch.

To get out:
- Right hand down, ignition off
- Up to the latch
- Actual handle is just below the latch
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

fungus

Postby fungus » Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:31 pm

crr003 wrote:
GTR1400MAN wrote:Is there any other way to open the door? Why would you use the arm nearest the door and have to twist/contort your wrist to reach the handle?

I will have to watch other people get out of my car.

Huh? Where's your door handle?
Normal passengers/drivers flick the door open with their left/right hand then push the door open with their elbow. It it's windy, the door flies open and can damage the car.
PDIs are taught to teach to open the door using the opposite hand and hold the door with the other hand to control the door opening. Plus use the door mirror/look there are no pedestrians/passing vehicles. Lesson 1. Controls.
Trouble is not many people want to spend £30/hour to be told how to do something they've been doing since they were allowed in the front seat.

People are also taught to leave a car door's width when passing stationary vehicles. Why can't bicyclists manage this if most of them are supposed to be car drivers too?

This is something I do myself and something I teach pupils on their first lesson. The reason I give for using this method is in case of wind taking the door from your hand. As far as cyclists, passing cars, pedestrians pavement side are cocerned, it's door mirror shoulder check.

Nigel.

Horse

Postby Horse » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:21 am

fungus wrote: It it's windy, the door flies open and can damage the car

And, against my previous post, this morning I held the rigid handle with right hand and unlatched with left.

Horse

Postby Horse » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:21 am

GTR1400MAN wrote:Ignition switch ... how quaint :)

Perhaps they should have used the space saved on your car to put in a door latch where you can reach it with either hand :)

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:03 am

Horse wrote:Perhaps they should have used the space saved on your car to put in a door latch where you can reach it with either hand :)

Ha ha. :D

I can reach it it with either hand. To me though in any car it just feels odd using my right hand to pull a lever in a door to my right. Naturally positioned the back of your hand is facing the lever. Odd.

Horse

Postby Horse » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:30 am

GTR1400MAN wrote: Naturally positioned the back of your hand is facing the lever. Odd.

My wrists permit a certain degree of swivel, and the latch handle is designed to permit fingers to hold it ;)

Return to “Advanced Driving - Cars”