Dutch Reach

Topics relating to Advanced Driving in cars
GTR1400MAN

Re: Dutch Reach

Postby GTR1400MAN » Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:33 pm

Well interestingly I was out in the car today so I had a closer inspection of the latch handle in my Clio. It IS (to my surprise) ergonomically designed to be opened with two fingers, with the back of the hand positioned to the door. You just slide your hand forward and in.

Picture of Clio interior

I'll still continue to use what I never knew was called the Dutch Reach for the safety aspect and to stop the door blowing wide (and bending hinges/panel) in strong winds.
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

PhilAsia

Postby PhilAsia » Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:23 pm

Surely the right hand is used for the latch and the left for the armrest/handle?

crr003

Postby crr003 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:26 pm

PhilAsia wrote:Surely the right hand is used for the latch and the left for the armrest/handle?

As the driver exiting a RHD car? No.
https://youtu.be/GzIf80eSfCg?t=48s
but mirror imaged.

Horse

Postby Horse » Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:37 pm

PhilAsia wrote:Surely the right hand is used for the latch and the left for the armrest/handle?

Horse wrote: . . . against my previous post, this morning I held the rigid handle with right hand and unlatched with left.

Other user experiences may vary :)
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

PhilAsia

Postby PhilAsia » Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:10 am

All these years I have been teaching it wrongly....oops!

Well, back when I was teaching (80s and 90s, uk) I'd never heard of the"Dutch Reach" and if someone had mentioned it I would have probably thought they were being vulgar. :)

I would teach to guide the seatbelt buckle to the B pillar with the left hand, then drop that hand to the armrest grab handle. The right hand opens the latch whilst the door is held from moving too far against the body weight. From this position you are already checking the blind spot as your body is turned.

It's a form of AD Twister!

Oh well, let me reset...

Return to “Advanced Driving - Cars”