Overtaking at pedestrian crossings

Topics relating to Advanced Driving in cars
ancient

Re: Overtaking at pedestrian crossings

Postby ancient » Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:59 pm

GTR1400MAN wrote:
ancient wrote:Some years back, riding a motorcycle around Wandsworth one way system (wow! that was some years back :lol: ), the lane to the left of me was stationary with a police traffic vehicle (as I said, some years back!) the last car by the zebra. His lane was blocked beyond the crossing, my lane was clear; I checked there were no pedestrians on the crossing (or about to cross, I'm kind like that) and proceeded past him. Cue blue flashing and whoo-whoo noises. The overtake didn't allow me to make much progress that day.

Did he ticket you? What did he say?

Zebra crossing, no traffic lights, so I guess the debate was over why he was stopped. Pedestrians vs road blocked/queued.

No, he gave me a long lecture about not overtaking on crossings, even if it was clear the last car must not be overtaken. As you have demonstrated, he was wrong, but the internet didn't exist then and even had I had access to the definitive law I might well be advised to button it and keep my polite face on (as I did, without such access - unlike the time I was pulled over cycling in Richmond Park, for "wobbling six or eight inches either way - you were taking up almost a yard and I couldn't get past").
He was stopped because his lane was blocked beyond the crossing. Mine (which turned off to the right shortly after) was clear.

Horse

Postby Horse » Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:06 pm

[Derail warning - don't read if offended]

ancient wrote: button it and keep my polite face on

Unlike a guy I knew who was passed by a police bike, which pulled in to the left with it's 'STOP' sign illuminated. Matey rode on down the road, soon to be caught up and passed by a 'noiser' police bike :)

"Don't you know what 'STOP' means?" [pointing at the rear of his bike] "How many other vehicles do you know of with 'STOP' signs on the back?"

"Local buses" replied matey.
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

mainbeam

Postby mainbeam » Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:25 pm

Mike, I think you alluded to the answer earlier. In free-flowing traffic the prohibition effectively and generally does mean no overtaking. The double white line system has the same general effect. It is likely that the general rule is what people remember.

dvenman

Postby dvenman » Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:28 am

Horse wrote:[Derail warning - don't read if offended]

ancient wrote:
"Don't you know what 'STOP' means?" [pointing at the rear of his bike] "How many other vehicles do you know of with 'STOP' signs on the back?"

"Local buses" replied matey.

A copper in court was asked by the defendant's solicitor "You swore at my client, didn't you, officer?".

"No sir, I said 'you can't'".

Return to “Advanced Driving - Cars”