Overtaking at pedestrian crossings

Topics relating to Advanced Driving in cars
crr003

Overtaking at pedestrian crossings

Postby crr003 » Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:29 am

https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/features/dr ... e-illegal/

"3. Overtaking at a pedestrian crossing

Coming up to a pedestrian crossing on a multi-lane road? Is there a car already stationary there? If the lights then change to green, do not use your extra momentum to zip past the stationary car - this is illegal.

You must not overtake the car nearest to the pedestrian crossing. Why? Because their vehicle may be concealing a pedestrian already on the crossing."

Is this accurate?

Horse

Re: Overtaking at pedestrian crossings

Postby Horse » Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:58 am

Highway Code, Rule 191. You MUST NOT park on a crossing or in the area covered by the zig-zag lines. You MUST NOT overtake the moving vehicle nearest the crossing or the vehicle nearest the crossing which has stopped to give way to pedestrians.

And yes, a pedestrian could be obscured.
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

crr003

Postby crr003 » Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:00 pm

Horse wrote:Highway Code, Rule 191. You MUST NOT park on a crossing or in the area covered by the zig-zag lines. You MUST NOT overtake the moving vehicle nearest the crossing or the vehicle nearest the crossing which has stopped to give way to pedestrians.

And yes, a pedestrian could be obscured.

And if you can see there are no pedestrians?

devonutopia

Postby devonutopia » Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:11 pm

I think I would only attempt similar if the car had already began moving over / was already over the crossing and my overtake was maintaining my brisker progress whilst the other car was still getting up to speed. If it was stopped, I might pull alongside and slow right down to check (drag race potential too :D ) and only proceed once I am happy.

Horse

Postby Horse » Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:35 pm

crr003 wrote:
Horse wrote:Highway Code, Rule 191. You MUST NOT park on a crossing or in the area covered by the zig-zag lines. You MUST NOT overtake the moving vehicle nearest the crossing or the vehicle nearest the crossing which has stopped to give way to pedestrians.

Are you asking me (us) when it is safe for you?

crr003

Postby crr003 » Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:51 pm

Horse wrote:
crr003 wrote:

Are you asking me (us) when it is safe for you?

I was asking you if the RAC comment was accurate.
It's really as simple as yes or no.

Horse

Postby Horse » Fri Sep 01, 2017 1:23 pm

I can't see through other vehicles, can you? :)

Gareth

Postby Gareth » Fri Sep 01, 2017 1:39 pm

I'm fairly certain the RAC advice is correct if there are zig-zag lines leading up to the pedestrian crossing, but there is nothing to stop you overtaking after crossing the crossing.
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...

akirk

Postby akirk » Fri Sep 01, 2017 1:44 pm

it is very badly phrased...
multi-lane road - so dual carriageway with 2+ lanes each way / single carriageway with one lane in each direction / single carriageway with 2+ lanes in each direction?
if you are in your lane on a multi-lane road single or dual carriageway, then as long as the crossing is clear of pedestrians carry on - if you are having to actually overtake, then don't!

Alasdair

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:26 pm

If there are two lanes heading in the same direction then, according to the legal words, you shouldn't pass (quite correctly). Taking a flyer at a crossing is going to eventually end in tears. However the words also mean that if the traffic in the left lane is crawling and the second lane only has you in it, you can't proceed any faster than the last vehicle before the crossing ... which is clearly silly. As usual the law has been written in the utopia of congestion free roads.

This comes up a lot in the bike world with filtering in the zigzags.
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

Return to “Advanced Driving - Cars”