Lane closure due to roadworks

Topics relating to Advanced Driving in cars
Horse

Re: Lane closure due to roadworks

Postby Horse » Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:08 pm

crr003 wrote: So someone puts up a red ringed sign without a TTRO . . . What about the safety of the road workers?

Do you have any idea how road works signs get there? :lol:

"Yes, m'lud, the worker was struck and killed while placing a sign at the roadside. No, there was no legal basis for placing the sign." :o
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

crr003

Postby crr003 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:10 pm

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner wrote:
crr003 wrote:Sits and waits for the "well, if you were at the front of the queue at the till in Tesco/Asda/Waitrose and someone tried pushing in, you wouldn't allow that would you?" argument.

But there's a good analogy for that in the queues at, say, the self-service tills, where one queue forms, and then the first person in the queue goes to the next available till, or at large public events, where everybody knows that there will be a delay getting out, so they pick a queue and wait until it gets priority. Of course in the latter situation, there are always "queue hoppers", but they are generally in the minority.

Nope; not listening! Well, if she's fit I'd let her in.

You're not letting someone with a week's worth of shopping push in - you're all moving and seamlessly merging, in a world where petty jealousy ("I've got an "x", I'm not letting your "y" in) doesn't exist. You don't see ants having this problem.

vanman

Postby vanman » Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:22 pm

Ants relative to their size can move a lot quicker than we can in our ruddy cars, with or without lanes. Darwin was right we came from apes, ants obviously come from a higher order..

Strangely Brown

Postby Strangely Brown » Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:53 pm

I, for one, welcome our new insect overlords.

crr003

Postby crr003 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:18 pm

https://youtu.be/IuhgBvOWb_k

Over 40 years ago, the future was accurately documented in film.

crr003

Postby crr003 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:43 pm

Horse wrote:
crr003 wrote: So someone puts up a red ringed sign without a TTRO . . . What about the safety of the road workers?

"Yes, m'lud, the worker was struck and killed while placing a sign at the roadside. No, there was no legal basis for placing the sign." :o

Of course I do - some bloke runs across three lanes of live traffic carrying a bloody great sign/frame.

But if it's that important to get official approval, the book says:

D3.39.3 The design programme for such works should make provision for the time necessary to obtain the appropriate temporary traffic regulation orders. Where there is insufficient time to obtain temporary traffic regulation orders under normal procurement procedures, consideration should be given to obtaining a traffic order under emergency notice procedures (Section 14(2) of the Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984), or in collaboration with the police under their powers.

so no four week wait?

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:51 pm

crr003 wrote:
Horse wrote:Do you have any idea how road works signs get there? :lol:

Of course I do - some bloke runs across three lanes of live traffic carrying a bloody great sign/frame.

He's only recently hung up his broom, you know ...
Nick

Horse

Postby Horse » Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:47 pm

crr003 wrote:
Horse wrote:

But if it's that important to get official approval, the book says:

D3.39.3 The design programme for such works should make provision for the time necessary to obtain the appropriate temporary traffic regulation orders. Where there is insufficient time to obtain temporary traffic regulation orders under normal procurement procedures, consideration should be given to obtaining a traffic order under emergency notice procedures (Section 14(2) of the Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984), or in collaboration with the police under their powers.

so no four week wait?

You might think so :)

But with somewhere in the region of 4,000 workers on the Highways England network, installing about 6,000 short-term closures each year, that isn't going to happen.

And FWIW, I've spent much of the last 7 years getting their working practices changed so they don't have to 'run' (they were supposed to walk!) across the carriageway.
https://trl.co.uk/news/prev/41695
A conservative estimate is that 3 million live carriageway crossings each year have been prevented.
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:02 pm

I think I'd be inclined to (at least) trot ... :shock:
Nick

crr003

Postby crr003 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:21 pm

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner wrote:I think I'd be inclined to (at least) trot ... :shock:

I think it was three seconds to walk a lane; don't run in case you trip.....
Yeah right.......

Return to “Advanced Driving - Cars”