Lane closure due to roadworks

Topics relating to Advanced Driving in cars
Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Re: Lane closure due to roadworks

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:26 pm

Horse wrote:
crr003 wrote:You might think so :)

But with somewhere in the region of 4,000 workers on the Highways England network, installing about 6,000 short-term closures each year, that isn't going to happen.

And FWIW, I've spent much of the last 7 years getting their working practices changed so they don't have to 'run' (they were supposed to walk!) across the carriageway.
https://trl.co.uk/news/prev/41695
A conservative estimate is that 3 million live carriageway crossings each year have been prevented.

Is that a rather blurry Horse I see clutching an award? Well done! :cheers:
Nick

Horse

Postby Horse » Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:02 pm

Might be ;)
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

MichaelAC

Postby MichaelAC » Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:40 pm

Back to merge in turn briefly and to give some context to the discussion and comments made earlier in this thread, I have a couple of points that may be of interest:

* On a high speed road if the traffic flow is high enough then it is lane 2 that will be closed with a chicane leading back to lane 2 when the traffic is in single file if it is lane 1 needing to be closed. This means that the faster moving traffic will filter into the slower traffic which is safer as it's easier for them to find the gap by adjusting their speed and they will have greater visibility as they are looking forwards whereas slower traffic would need to look behind them to move into lane 2.

Lane 1 closures should only start with lane 1 being closed if the traffic count is below a set amount and there is very good visibility to the start of the taper.

* You won't find the queue of traffic in a single lane if it's all moving freely enough for them to be going over 50mph on their approach, the queuing tends to happen when there is a slow approach as was described at the beginning of this post. Merging in turn helps to reduce the tail back of stacking traffic when the cars use both lanes.

Horse

Postby Horse » Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:41 am

Congestion is fairly well linked to flow. I haven't seen figures published, so won't quote them.
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

JohnP

Postby JohnP » Thu Aug 31, 2017 5:21 pm

I remember that a draft of an earlier H.C. sent for public consultation had a "rule" recommending zip merging.
I responded that it as a good idea - but that the few people (such as me) who had read the new recommendation would annoy all those who hadn't.

Return to “Advanced Driving - Cars”