Commentary Driving

Topics relating to Advanced Driving in cars
GTR1400MAN

Re: Commentary Driving

Postby GTR1400MAN » Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:15 pm

fungus wrote:I would imagine that if you use words that, whilst not being the normal terminology used by police etc. but the meaning is understandable, then that would be ok.

Yes, there's a move away from police talk to just vocalising what you are thinking/planning/doing.
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

Horse

Postby Horse » Sat Aug 05, 2017 6:11 am

RiK wrote:Try going out for a drive with Geoff (Fads) and he'll even tell you what type of horse left it by the quality of the droppings! :lol:

Now that has the whiff of horse errr .... 'dust' about it. A bit like the tall tail of the Yorkshire Dales farmer who knew everyone of his 300 sheep individually by name. Who was going to know if he got one wrong? ;)

I had one trainee who went whizzing past a 'horses' triangular warning sign, the entrance to a stables, then dung on the road - when we talked about it later he admitted to not noticing any of them. Luckily for him (If not the commentary / observation links aspects of this story), we didn't encounter the empty horse :)
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

MichaelAC

Postby MichaelAC » Sat Aug 05, 2017 7:08 am

Just seen this, that list is really useful for me too as I'm practising getting my commentary up to speed. It's helpful to have understood phrases to use which stops me having to think too much about how to say what I'm seeing whilst I'm on commentary. Once I'm more practised no doubt I will start to use more of my own nuances as long as I'm happy they'll be understood.

crr003

Postby crr003 » Sat Aug 05, 2017 12:15 pm

GTR1400MAN wrote:
fungus wrote:I would imagine that if you use words that, whilst not being the normal terminology used by police etc. but the meaning is understandable, then that would be ok.

Yes, there's a move away from police talk to just vocalising what you are thinking/planning/doing.

I'm not sure it's "police talk"!
There's no "not one, not two, it's left left left onto Acacia Avenue.....prepare the stinger!" (I watch a lot of telly).

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:32 pm

There are, however, a few examiners who are quite punctilious about the correct names for road signs. I'm sure if you explain about your injury before starting, that there'll be some leeway though.

(e.g. "accompanied horses" not "horses and riders" etc ...)
Nick

Triquet

Postby Triquet » Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:49 am

I have never understood the emphasis is giving commentary in complete grammatical sentences. There is so much going on that the having to prefix everything you see with "I see a ...." and "I shall immediately ..." seems superfluous. By the time you have said:

"I see a light controlled pedestrian crossing and it is at red. I shall check my mirror, then slow down being ready to stop"

You are a hundred metres up the road leaving scattered bits of pedestrian behind you and oblivious of the next signs and hazards.

Why not just say "Crossing, red, mirror slow"?

jont-

Postby jont- » Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:13 am

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner wrote:There are, however, a few examiners who are quite punctilious about the correct names for road signs. I'm sure if you explain about your injury before starting, that there'll be some leeway though.

Yes, much more important to know the correct name than the significance of the sign :roll:

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:25 am

Don't shoot the messenger ... :roll:
Nick

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:26 pm

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner wrote:There are, however, a few examiners who are quite punctilious about the correct names for road signs. I'm sure if you explain about your injury before starting, that there'll be some leeway though.

Yes, I've had that discussion with a ROSPA examiner.

"It's what it means" says I.

"It's not the official description"

"Does the official description mean what I said?"

"It does, but I like to hear the official ones"

It didn't affect the result. :)

I've also seen similar comments in Masters reports. :(
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:20 pm

So "accompanied horses" = "horses and riders" ? ;) :P
Nick

Return to “Advanced Driving - Cars”