Commentary Driving

Topics relating to Advanced Driving in cars
Taffy

Commentary Driving

Postby Taffy » Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:00 pm

I mentioned in my introduction that I recently had a brain injury from which I am trying to recover. One thing that I would really like to do well is commentary driving. I want any assessor to know whether my thought processes are up to the mark, and where I could improve. Sadly, I don't find it easy. It can sometimes take tens of seconds for me to find a word that I want. Recent failures have been words such as 'pedestrian','horse rider' and 'chevron'. This kinda slows down my commentary.

I was recently pointed towards Reg Local's work, and very much like his suggestion that I keep asking myself 'What next?'. Using that, I am able to rattle off the next hazard that I am dealing with, and relate it, if necessary to IPSA (I drive an automatic, so let the car choose 'G'). I find this gives me more time to find any words that have decided to play hide and seek with my brain. But my concern is that it really stop me using my eyes on 'main beam if I focus constantly on what's next.

I am looking at all the YouTube videos I can find, in the hope that the language needed will become so much more familiar that I will be able to find words quickly. But I wonder if anybody has any words of wisdom that may help me in this next stage?

AndyP

Re: Commentary Driving

Postby AndyP » Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:10 pm

If you pm me your address I will send you a copy of my Commentary driving booklet if it helps.
It is on publisher and pdf download to print off if you are able.
But happy to post one
It is not WHAT you drive, BUT:-- the WAY that you drive it.
It is not HOW fast you drive, BUT:-- HOW you drive fast.

Cheers Andy

Taffy

Postby Taffy » Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:43 pm

Brilliant. Very happy to download. Will pm my email details. Thanks Andy.

crr003

Postby crr003 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:47 pm

Here's an old list of useful phrases from an ex copper known on various forums as Vonhosen. Pretty solid sort of chap. There might be some conflicts these days - the use of contact position during overtaking for example (70). Bonus points for correctly identifying bovine and equine (45) defecation! The original had equestrian defecation, which is a different thing altogether.......

Not sure if they're still available, but Mark Kendrick did a series of DVDs - one was on commentary and had three flavours - typical IAM, Plod and Mark's style.

Chris Gilbert does a DVD too.

Von wrote:Commentary Suggestions

Set the scene you are driving in before you start your commentary, i.e.

"Mirror, I am on a single carriageway road, one lane in each direction divided by hazard lines, the surface is dry level and good, subject to the national speed limit……."

General Phrases

(Information Phase)

1, "Lifting vision" "In the distance I can see…."
2, “Loss of vision, mirror, loss of speed."
3, “Brake lights cascading down the line.”
4, "Approaching a roundabout/give way, planning to stop looking to go, my first point of danger is from the right." “My gap is…”
5, "Entering the national speed limit, three mirror safety check."
6, "Junction left/right, looking for the fingerboard to locate the junction."
7, "Junction marker, I can't see the junction, so they can't see me."
8, “One threatening on the left/right, mirror, off the drive covering the brake.”
9, "One active on the nearside/offside."
10, “One in the junction on the left/right, mirror, he’s looking in my direction/he’s got brakelights on, I’m happy with that.”
11, “Looking for the lane of least resistance.” (Approaching a roundabout, traffic lights etc.)
12, “Change of road surface, texture and colour.”
13, “Positioning for vision.”
14, "Single track road, half distance stopping rule applies."
15, "The car in front is committed by speed/position."
16, “Using the vehicle in front as a shield.” (Very narrow road with one in front)
17, "Using the vehicle in front as my pathfinder."
18, “Standing water, firming up my grip on the wheel.”
19, “Mindful of the strobing effect of the sun through the trees.”
20, "Dual Carriageway, potentially the most dangerous type of road, motorway speeds but without the regulations. Pedestrians, unmarked junctions & potentially cross flow traffic."

(Position Phase)

21, "Taking a 50/50 position to split the danger."
22, “Sacrificing position for safety.”

(Speed Phase)

23, "Gentle braking, firmer braking, gently off brakes, gear for the speed is."
24, “Using acceleration sense to match my speed with the one in front.”
25, "Covering the brake for danger, but not braking yet."
26, “ Speed is good, the limit point is running/matched ”
27, “Selecting a low gear and using engine compression to main a steady speed.” (Downhill)
28, “Slow on the road, slow it will be.”

(Gear Phase)

29, “Matching speed with the one in front, the gear for the speed is……” (Slowing)
30, "35/70 miles per hour, the gear for the speed is….." (Slowing)
31, "Taking a gear with the steering set."
32, “40 MPH speed limit, selecting a 4th gear for passenger comfort and mechanical sympathy.”

(Acceleration Phase)

33, "Approaching the nationals, taking a gear to maximise acceleration."
34, "Firming up the drive."

Observation links

35, "Entering a built up area, expecting an increase in pedestrian and vehicular traffic, I will mention junctions and driveways as they affect me/become active."
36, “Buildings/Church (or Ecclesiastical!) building in the distance, expecting a change of speed limit.”
37, "Skid marks on the road tells a story."
38, "Wide tyre (or tandem axle) marks on the road tells me that large vehicles use this road."
39, “Scarred/uneven road surface, will cause problems with braking and steering, exercising restraint.”
40, "Mud on the road tells me that agricultural vehicles use this road and may be ahead."
41, “Hay on the road, looking for the tractor.”
42, “Roadwork’s, looking for ATS, stationary traffic and highway engineers!”
43, “The bins are out, looking for the cleansing technicians!”
44, “Footpath, looking out for ramblers.”
45, “Equine/bovine defecation, looking for horses/cows.” etc.
46, “Cyclist, they often go in groups, looking for more.”
47, “Chewed verges indicates that large vehicles use this road.”
48, "Going under/over a bridge, looking for of Microclimates and crosswinds."
49, “Bus stop tells me we are on a bus route.”
50, “Stationary bus, looking underneath for feet and people getting on and off.”
51, “The car in front is slowing he may be looking for somewhere to turn off.”
52, “Industrial buildings, it could be where the heavy is going.”
53, “Looking for gaps in the hedges, the tractor may turn into a field.”

Bends

(Information Phase)

54, "Right/left bend, mirror position, using lateral vision I can see…the limit point is…."
55, “The one towards is quite slow, suggesting the bend is tight.”
56, “The one towards is quick, suggesting the bend is not too severe.”
57, “Looking at the hedgerow tells me the general angle of the bend.”
58, “Lamp posts in the distance are going off to the left/right.”
59, "Reading the limit point beyond the lead/subject vehicle."
60, “Telegraph poles give me an idea where the road goes, but I can’t rely on them as they may cut across fields.”
61, “The one in front is braking around the corner, why?” (obstruction?)
62, “Double bend, first to the left/right, expecting the second feature to be tighter.” (It normally is!)

(Position Phase)

63, “Taking a weaker line for safety.” (Point of potential danger)
64, "There is nothing towards, mirror, I can straighten this one."

(Speed Phase)

65, “The limit point is running.”

(Acceleration Phase)

66, “Running with the limit point, not chasing it until it races away.”
67, "Balancing the car through the bend by applying constant drive."
68, "The limit point is static, it’s starting to run, now matching my speed with the limit point by maintaining the drive."
69, "Allowing the car to settle, setting the steering, now firming up the drive." (High speed)

Overtaking

70, "It looks like the overtake might be on, moving into a contact position."
71, "The overtake is not on, moving back into a following position."
72, "Not committing the overtake until I can see both sides of the road."
73, "My next point of contact is."
74, "Looking for my stop over gap."
75, “My stop over gap is.”
76, "I will monitor the stop over gap."
77, "Junction marker, option for the car in front/Subject, dropping back to a follow position."
78, "Solid white line not in my favour, it may end on the exit of this bend" or "brow of this hill." (Where you can OT)
79, “Hazard lines are changing to normal lane markings, there may be a chance for an overtake.”
80, “Making sure the one in front completes the overtake before committing myself.”
81,“I’m not happy with the one in front, exercising restraint and moving back into a following position.”

Motorways

82, "Onto the Motorway, Motorway regulations apply, hard shoulders, junctions normally posted 1 mile in advance."
83, "One mile exit board, looking for the half mile marker/ three two ones."
84, "Half mile marker, my gap is…." "I have a sterile area……."
85, “Matching my speed with the ones on the Motorway, mirror, over the shoulder check, claiming lane one, two.” etc.
86, “There’s a sterile area to the nearside of the one in front, moving into contact to encourage them over.”
87, “What goes off comes back on.” (Junction)

Horse

Postby Horse » Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:11 am

From the motorcyclists' perspective, the key difference is not bovine - equine but 'dried' or 'fresh' (= slippy, high risk of creatures in vicinity).
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

RiK

Postby RiK » Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:16 am

Try going out for a drive with Geoff (Fads) and he'll even tell you what type of horse left it by the quality of the droppings! :lol:
Richard Olpin: Bristol IAM: Training Officer, IAM: Masters (Dist), IMI National Observer, LOA. Gloucestershire Constabulary SC6240.

Taffy

Postby Taffy » Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:17 pm

Many thanks Andy and Crr003. That is exactly the kind of help I was hoping for.

I am going to have lots of Noddy questions as I try go get back to where I was. Is this an ok forum for me to use for that purpose, or is there a more appropriate place for me to raise such questions?

AndyP

Postby AndyP » Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:27 pm

You have my details.
Just call me.
Pleased to hear from you
It is not WHAT you drive, BUT:-- the WAY that you drive it.
It is not HOW fast you drive, BUT:-- HOW you drive fast.

Cheers Andy

martine

Postby martine » Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:28 pm

Taffy wrote:...Is this an ok forum for me to use for that purpose, or is there a more appropriate place for me to raise such questions?

Absolutely - ask away...you'll often get different view points and suggestions - and that's the beauty of forums like this.
Martin - Bristol Advanced Motorists: IMI National Observer, Group Secretary, Masters (dist), DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)

fungus

Postby fungus » Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:05 pm

I would imagine that if you use words that, whilst not being the normal terminology used by police etc. but the meaning is understandable, then that would be ok. Also think of words that you can re-call more easily. I'm sure others will correct me if I'm wrong. Keep it brief, and prioritse. Leave out what's not important if there's too much going on.

As an ADI whose work is mainly dealing with young learner drivers, I sometimes hear odd descriptions of road signs etc. and have to decypher what they mean.

Nigel.

Return to “Advanced Driving - Cars”