GBOL & DSG Gearbox

Topics relating to Advanced Driving in cars
Rainmaker

Re: GBOL & DSG Gearbox

Postby Rainmaker » Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:58 am

jont- wrote:
Rainmaker wrote:Someone earlier in the thread commented they thought their IAM observer wouldn't be keen on them using sport mode or keeping the revs up around 4k. I can't speak for IAM but at RoSPA that'd be positively encouraged so long as it wasn't needless (eg 5,000rpm in 1st around town). I always tell my associates I've paid for 220 horses, so get the buggers whipped! :gear: :mrgreen:

Oh, I dunno about 5000rpm in 1st being useless around town. If you've got a section with lots of speed humps you can do all of it with acceleration sense in 1st gear in the Caterham (it's geared for about 40 in 1st). I assume the locals must like the noise and want to hear it, otherwise they'd get rid of the bastard things and I could trickle through at 30mph in 6th instead :twisted:

:lol:

Gareth

Postby Gareth » Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:51 am

Rainmaker wrote:so long as it wasn't needless (eg 5,000rpm in 1st around town).

In one of our diesel Skodas, once the engine has warmed up, I often use up to 4000 rpm in 1st. Not much point going further but quite useful to get going briskly.
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...

exportmanuk

Postby exportmanuk » Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:53 am

Potential thread hijack (sorry)
Why are people still talking about BGOL and implying if you do it it will kill you so must be avoided at all costs? In modern cars predominantly front wheels drive all have abs and weight sensitive braking bias. You are no longer removing drive from the rear wheels and provoking them to skid ( rotate much slower than the front wheels) with the weight transfer and the only brake bias being twin leading shoes on the front and a single one on the back. Most of the problems where caused by drivers rushing dumping the clutch as they changed down. As a tool stop a driver rushing everything it is helpful but the insistence that this is an imperative is that really true or just good old fashioned dogma?

Once again sorry
Andrew Melton
Manchester 500

dvenman

Postby dvenman » Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:07 am

exportmanuk wrote:Potential thread hijack (sorry)
Why are people still talking about BGOL and implying if you do it it will kill you so must be avoided at all costs?

...snipped...

As a tool stop a driver rushing everything it is helpful but the insistence that this is an imperative is that really true or just good old fashioned dogma?

I show my associates that BGOL is a useful tool, as you say, to make things smooth, smoothness being a mark of a driver who's thinking about their driving.

I heel and toe on a regular basis - although not with associates - and deploy it and BGOL avoidance as a tool in the box depending on how I'm driving at the time.

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:01 pm

Another of the advantages of avoiding BGOL is that your have both hands free for steering.

When driving manually with flappy paddles, that's another reason negated. As I pointed out earlier with a DSG in auto mode it doesn't care where it changes gear. In fact it will BGOL a LOT when braking to make a turn.
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:49 pm

dvenman wrote:
I show my associates that BGOL is a useful tool, as you say, to make things smooth, smoothness being a mark of a driver who's thinking about their driving.

I assume the above is meant to say "BGOL avoidance"?

Otherwise, some remedial training may be required ... :nono: :lol:
Nick

waremark

Postby waremark » Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:50 pm

I have recently been driving 2 litre 4 cylinder cars from each of Merc (9 speed auto) and VW (7 speed DSG). I found both more pleasant in manual mode. I preferred to have a flexible gear engaged before accelerating rather than kicking down when I accelerated, I avoided hunting, and I typically kept the revs a touch higher than the economy minded comfort mode auto shifts. In bigger engined torquier cars I have found auto shifts more satisfactory. I see no disadvantage to overlapping brakes and gears in a paddle shift car, but I do quite like making a down change after the end of the braking phase as part of a smooth planned systematic approach to a hazard.

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:50 pm

waremark wrote:... Merc (9 speed auto) and VW (7 speed DSG).

How many next year, 12? 14? 16? The future is CVT, but they haven't realised yet. ;)
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

fungus

Postby fungus » Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:09 pm

jont- wrote:
Rainmaker wrote:Someone earlier in the thread commented they thought their IAM observer wouldn't be keen on them using sport mode or keeping the revs up around 4k. I can't speak for IAM but at RoSPA that'd be positively encouraged so long as it wasn't needless (eg 5,000rpm in 1st around town). I always tell my associates I've paid for 220 horses, so get the buggers whipped! :gear: :mrgreen:

Oh, I dunno about 5000rpm in 1st being useless around town. If you've got a section with lots of speed humps you can do all of it with acceleration sense in 1st gear in the Caterham (it's geared for about 40 in 1st). I assume the locals must like the noise and want to hear it, otherwise they'd get rid of the bastard things and I could trickle through at 30mph in 6th instead :twisted:

Similar to the daughters R53 Cooper S with the supercharger singing away. :D :D :D Drinks fuel like it's going out of fashion though.

Nigel.

TheInsanity1234

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:45 pm

Pontoneer wrote:Because I've been driving automatics almost exclusively for the last 40 years , I take the view that I have two feet for two pedals and make the most efficient use of them : that can often mean preselecting the next gear whilst braking on the approach to a hazard , then bringing in a part throttle downshift towards the end of the braking phase by easing smoothly onto the throttle before easing off the brakes and then firming up on throttle - all very wordy , but it is very smooth and it works . Use of the selector isn't always required ; in many cases application of a little throttle before finishing with the brakes will bring in a desired downshift in a very smooth manner and is advantageous to making good progress . Other times the brakes don't come into it , such as selecting a gear for an overtake while following at a steady speed , but use of throttle in conjunction with the selector almost always brings in a smoother change .

I would have thought torque converter autos would be very forgiving in terms of allowing the use of the accelerator and brake at the same time, as if there's no clutch, there's nothing to 'burn out' as it were, so you'd be able to slam your foot down on the accelerator and rev the engine while hard on the brakes. With the current DCT gearboxes I would have presumed it's written into the engine management coding that if you put your foot on the brake at the same time as the accelerator it'd cut all power as a way of protecting the clutches?

Have never driven anything other than a manual however, so I can't comment from experience.

Return to “Advanced Driving - Cars”