Topics relating to Advanced Driving in cars
AndyP

Re: Rule of Thirds - Overtaking

Postby AndyP » Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:22 am

Strangely Brown wrote:
AndyP wrote:May also be called Bananaring

... or "the Surrey swoop".

But you are in SUSSEX :lol:
It is not WHAT you drive, BUT:-- the WAY that you drive it.
It is not HOW fast you drive, BUT:-- HOW you drive fast.

Cheers Andy

Strangely Brown

Postby Strangely Brown » Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:58 am

AndyP wrote:But you are in SUSSEX :lol:

Indeed. It is/was a derogatory term that I heard from instructors at the driving school in Lewes when referring to the often seen execution of overtakes by our neighbours to the north.

AndyP

Postby AndyP » Thu Jul 06, 2017 3:29 pm

No,
surely not, how jolly coarse.
Never known anything like it.

:lol: :roll:
It is not WHAT you drive, BUT:-- the WAY that you drive it.
It is not HOW fast you drive, BUT:-- HOW you drive fast.

Cheers Andy

EasyShifter

Postby EasyShifter » Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:12 am

Strangely Brown wrote:

Indeed. It is/was a derogatory term that I heard from instructors at the driving school in Lewes when referring to the often seen execution of overtakes by our neighbours to the north.

The diagrams of overtakes in Roadcraft actually depict an overtake as a single curve rather than a three-stage process involving a parallel course. I've mentioned it as a criticism a few times in conversation with AD instructors/mentors.
Michael

fungus

Postby fungus » Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:16 pm

EasyShifter wrote:
Strangely Brown wrote:

The diagrams of overtakes in Roadcraft actually depict an overtake as a single curve rather than a three-stage process involving a parallel course. I've mentioned it as a criticism a few times in conversation with AD instructors/mentors.

It depends on circumstances.

If following in a queue, you will probably not be far enough behind to get a good enough view to decide if the overtake is on without coming out for a look. But if closing in from a distance then you will have had a good oportunity to assess the situation whilst closing up on your target vehicle. (See Regs' video on overtaking at http://www.reglocal.com/my-videos/

Nigel.

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:55 pm

Interesting overtake here for a demo (after turning right at 20:18).

https://youtu.be/SjFWKVYfkpE?t=1216

Isn't this sign and paint on the road

slowturning.jpg
slowturning.jpg (509.47 KiB) Viewed 8631 times

and the vehicle waiting in the junction, and the parked cars and drive ways on the left & right, enough reason to not even start it?
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

Strangely Brown

Postby Strangely Brown » Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:51 pm

I agree, not on. I don't particularly like the overtake of the bike into dead ground at 24:30 either.

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:02 pm

Strangely Brown wrote:I agree, not on. I don't particularly like the overtake of the bike into dead ground at 24:30 either.

Agreed. There's a few 'rollerskate' drivers on here who could be hiding down there. ;)

Had just such a discussion with a rider the other night on a road with an elevated field and high corn. He said he could see across the bend. I asked him "What can you see?" "The tops of the cars." Says he. "What can't you see?" says me ...
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

jont-

Postby jont- » Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:59 pm

On the second one, I think the view was there long enough to be confident that you'd have seen anything you need to worry about coming out of the dip, going into it. The exception might be a push bike, but it wouldn't be moving that fast.

First one - react to the hazard, not the sign/paint. Car in the junction arguably not going to go due to the target anyway? Although if they turned out right (maybe due to doing a u-turn to explain the odd position) it might have been "interesting".

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:24 pm

jont- wrote:On the second one, I think the view was there long enough to be confident that you'd have seen anything you need to worry about coming out of the dip, going into it. The exception might be a push bike, but it wouldn't be moving that fast.

It could be you in your Westfield (?) having just passed a cyclist in the dip, or pulling away from an un-sighted junction. The only time you can really count cars in / out is when your view is blocked but vehicles are effectively 'sweeping' that piece of road for you. If nothings gone through, you've nothing to count.

Return to “Advanced Driving - Cars”