Would you break the law here?

Topics relating to Advanced Driving in cars
Matt1962

Would you break the law here?

Postby Matt1962 » Thu Feb 02, 2017 6:56 pm

I have avoided it for years now (I now take the previous junction) but happened to go past junct13 of the M11 this morning. Sure enough, 300 yards of traffic on the hard shoulder, with lane 1 running at 60-70. Providing you were quick enough to realise what was going on, would you join that queue?

akirk

Re: Would you break the law here?

Postby akirk » Thu Feb 02, 2017 7:01 pm

not quite sure what that queue is doing on the hard shoulder? esp. if lane 1 is running at normal speed - are they waiting to get off at the junction?

Alasdair

Matt1962

Postby Matt1962 » Thu Feb 02, 2017 7:37 pm

Apologies, not a good explanation! The queue is to leave at the junction (in fact virtually everyone is waiting to turn right at the top of the slip road into Cambridge).
There are of course many issues here....I think it unlikely that anyone new to the area would realise that the queue was for the junction until they were past the point of no return, but assuming you knew what was going on would you be happy to join that queue to use the junction?

Horse

Postby Horse » Thu Feb 02, 2017 8:17 pm

Google Streetview link might help ...
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

martine

Postby martine » Thu Feb 02, 2017 8:33 pm

Horse wrote:Google Streetview link might help ...

I'm guessing it's here

Would I? May be - I think the police would be sympathetic in these days of official hard-shoulder running but it's far from ideal of course.

One of those driving scenarios that doesn't have a clear answer if you want to be legal and safe and courteous.
Martin - Bristol Advanced Motorists: IMI National Observer, Group Secretary, Masters (dist), DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Thu Feb 02, 2017 8:43 pm

New to the area or not, I'd stay in lane 1 and 'push in' at the correct point (or create a queue in lane 1).

All those using the hard shoulder are breaking the law UNLESS there is some new signage earlier on approach saying the hard shoulder is being used as a lane.

I'm guessing this has come about after roadworks did legitimise use of th hard shoulder as a lane, but the sheepies have carried on doing this now the roadworks have disappeared.

PS. THIS is J13 on StreetView. The clue's on the big blue board ;)
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Thu Feb 02, 2017 8:55 pm

This has been going on a long time then Matt? :)

Back in time
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

martine

Postby martine » Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:23 pm

GTR1400MAN wrote:...PS. THIS is J13 on StreetView. The clue's on the big blue board ;)

:lol: I got my M11 and J11s mixed up...could have been worse, I might have put a link to the M13, J11. :roll:
M13
Martin - Bristol Advanced Motorists: IMI National Observer, Group Secretary, Masters (dist), DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)

IcedKiwi

Postby IcedKiwi » Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:47 pm

Was (still is?) a regular occurrence on the m40 at Leamington and Gaydon. When I was up that way (pre AD days) I used to join the queue on the hard shoulder. Pretty sure people used to actively block people trying to join from lane 1 at the junction who were "skipping the queue".
Sometime the queue was so long that it was beyond the sign and unless you knew the junction was up ahead, you'd have no way of knowing that it was for your junction.

Matt1962

Postby Matt1962 » Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:00 pm

GTR1400MAN wrote:This has been going on a long time then Matt? :)

Back in time

Yes, well spotted. At the time it caused me to re-think my journey to avoid it (I used to turn left off the slip road anyway). I just happened to be passing the junction this morning and was surprised that nothing has changed in a couple of years.
On your other comment, doing 'the right thing' is extremely dangerous because lane 1 is moving quickly.

Return to “Advanced Driving - Cars”