The most difficult aspect of Advanced Driving

Topics relating to Advanced Driving in cars
superplum

Re: The most difficult aspect of Advanced Driving

Postby superplum » Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:11 pm

TheInsanity1234 wrote: Fair enough. I'll try and pay a bit more attention to what I'm actually doing next time I'm slowing down like that.

waremark wrote:What about when the amount you are slowing is not sufficient to get the revs down to idle?

Well, I'd simply slow down until I've reached my desired speed, then change down into a more suitable gear if necessary.

The old ones are the best:

Brakes to slow -Gears to go.
Brake on the straight bits - Steer on the bendy bits.
If you've got your foot on the footbrake, you really ought to have two hands on the steering wheel.

but I'm sure someone will disagree!
:lol:

TheInsanity1234

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:46 pm

superplum wrote:
TheInsanity1234 wrote: Fair enough. I'll try and pay a bit more attention to what I'm actually doing next time I'm slowing down like that.

waremark wrote:What about when the amount you are slowing is not sufficient to get the revs down to idle?

Well, I'd simply slow down until I've reached my desired speed, then change down into a more suitable gear if necessary.

The old ones are the best:

Brakes to slow -Gears to go.
Brake on the straight bits - Steer on the bendy bits.
If you've got your foot on the footbrake, you really ought to have two hands on the steering wheel.

but I'm sure someone will disagree!
:lol:

That's generally what I do, but I probably brake more firmly than most and thus if (assuming fairly small speed changes, say 30 - 20ish) I start moving my hand to the gearstick when I start braking, it's often on the gearstick when I want to move it.

For bigger speed changes (say, 60 to 20), I'll change down from either 4th/5th to 3rd (obviously rev-matching as best as I can), then brake down to my desired speed, then change into 2nd to carry on. (Problem with the Yeti is that 2nd red lines at 50 mph, and 3rd hits the anti-stall at 20 mph, so braking down from 60 to below 20 needs to be in a 2 stage process.)

waremark

Postby waremark » Thu Jan 28, 2016 11:17 pm

TheInsanity1234 wrote:For bigger speed changes (say, 60 to 20), I'll change down from either 4th/5th to 3rd (obviously rev-matching as best as I can), then brake down to my desired speed, then change into 2nd to carry on. (Problem with the Yeti is that 2nd red lines at 50 mph, and 3rd hits the anti-stall at 20 mph, so braking down from 60 to below 20 needs to be in a 2 stage process.)

For 60 to 20 in a similar car I would brake in 6th, declutching at about 40 mph/1000 rpm while continuing to brake smoothly with both hands on the wheel. At 20 I would come off the brakes and then change either to 3rd at 1,200 rpm or 2nd at 2,000 rpm, picking up the drive just when I am ready to accelerate through or out of the hazard. IPSGA. Very smooth, minimum of effort, very safe, doing one thing at a time and keeping both hands on the wheel until slow. Slightly less progress than using BGOL with H&T. Much more satisfying than driving an auto - I have only driven an auto for about 15 minutes this year.

TheInsanity1234

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Fri Jan 29, 2016 8:15 pm

waremark wrote:For 60 to 20 in a similar car I would brake in 6th, declutching at about 40 mph/1000 rpm while continuing to brake smoothly with both hands on the wheel. At 20 I would come off the brakes and then change either to 3rd at 1,200 rpm or 2nd at 2,000 rpm, picking up the drive just when I am ready to accelerate through or out of the hazard. IPSGA. Very smooth, minimum of effort, very safe, doing one thing at a time and keeping both hands on the wheel until slow. Slightly less progress than using BGOL with H&T. Much more satisfying than driving an auto - I have only driven an auto for about 15 minutes this year.

We don't have a 6th in the Yeti, so it's got a very leggy 5th. 70 is approximately 2000 rpm, and it hits the anti stall at around 45/50ish, so I tend to try and be in 3rd if I know I'm de-accelerating more than a few mph.

Gareth

Postby Gareth » Fri Jan 29, 2016 9:24 pm

TheInsanity1234 wrote:We don't have a 6th in the Yeti, so it's got a very leggy 5th.

You'll probably find top is about the same ratio whether the box is 5 or 6 speed.
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...

TheInsanity1234

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Fri Jan 29, 2016 9:52 pm

Gareth wrote:
TheInsanity1234 wrote:We don't have a 6th in the Yeti, so it's got a very leggy 5th.

You'll probably find top is about the same ratio whether the box is 5 or 6 speed.

I do wish there was a 6th though. Just because 80ish tends to have the engine at about 2500 rpm which is a bit irritating...

Hearsay, of course... *whistles*

Return to “Advanced Driving - Cars”