The most difficult aspect of Advanced Driving

Topics relating to Advanced Driving in cars
StressedDave

Re: The most difficult aspect of Advanced Driving

Postby StressedDave » Sun Oct 25, 2015 9:16 pm

Challenge accepted... :mrgreen:

In any case, you've seen me drive JonT's last car, so you know just how seamless my gearchanging isn't.
All posts are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License. Do what you like with it, just don't make money off it.

waremark

Postby waremark » Sun Oct 25, 2015 11:53 pm

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner wrote:Never seen a manual Porker with an "auto-blip" feature? (but then I haven't driven any very new ones).

I tried it in a Cayman, I think all new manuals have it. In the Cayman I drove it only came on with Sport Plus, though that may have been configurable.

Mini Spirit

Postby Mini Spirit » Mon Jan 25, 2016 10:38 pm

I think the hardest skill I struggled with was the brake gear separation, I was so used to overlapping most of the time.
IAM F1RST

fungus

Postby fungus » Tue Jan 26, 2016 10:16 pm

Mini Spirit wrote:I think the hardest skill I struggled with was the brake gear separation, I was so used to overlapping most of the time.

I agree, I still overlap at times, and to be honest, provided that the car is travelling at the correct speed and the driver is not rushing braking and gear changing, I see it makes little difference, after all, you have to overlap going down hill.

Nigel

dave51

Postby dave51 » Tue Jan 26, 2016 11:01 pm

For me it's commentary. I think faster than I speak and I cannot verbally cover all the processes involved in driving without getting it in a mess (the comentary, that is).

By the way, I do overlap braking and gearchanges, normally using H & T to rev match, as I am a firm believer in being in a responsive gear at all times in case an urgent need to accelerate unexpectedly arises. I was originally taught never to coast, and have never found a valid reason to hold the clutch down for any longer than is needed to get from one gear to another.

TheInsanity1234

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Tue Jan 26, 2016 11:03 pm

I'm not going to lie, I probably partially overlap pretty much all the time.

What I tend to do is start braking in my current gear when I'm approaching some obstruction to my straight line of travel (i.e, a bend, a p(h)easant, or indeed a rouge driver), then when I hit idle, I declutch, and move the gear stick to the gear I predict I shall need to negotiate the hazard, then when I finish braking, I give the throttle a prod to get the revs up so I can engage the new gear and get a move on.

waremark

Postby waremark » Tue Jan 26, 2016 11:38 pm

TheInsanity1234 wrote:I'm not going to lie, I probably partially overlap pretty much all the time.

What I tend to do is start braking in my current gear when I'm approaching some obstruction to my straight line of travel (i.e, a bend, a p(h)easant, or indeed a rouge driver), then when I hit idle, I declutch, and move the gear stick to the gear I predict I shall need to negotiate the hazard, then when I finish braking, I give the throttle a prod to get the revs up so I can engage the new gear and get a move on.

I consider that to be almost textbook Roadcraft - the only difference being that you would keep your left hand on the wheel until you have finished braking and you know rather than predict what gear you will need.

What about when the amount you are slowing is not sufficient to get the revs down to idle?

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Wed Jan 27, 2016 7:49 am

TheInsanity1234 wrote:or indeed a rouge driver...

Is that one of those blokes who wear makeup? :P (tasteless joke :D )
Nick

TripleS

Postby TripleS » Wed Jan 27, 2016 5:45 pm

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner wrote:

Oi, that'll do: you'll be getting as bad as me. :lol:

TheInsanity1234

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Thu Jan 28, 2016 6:19 pm

waremark wrote:
TheInsanity1234 wrote:I'm not going to lie, I probably partially overlap pretty much all the time.

I consider that to be almost textbook Roadcraft - the only difference being that you would keep your left hand on the wheel until you have finished braking and you know rather than predict what gear you will need.

Fair enough. I'll try and pay a bit more attention to what I'm actually doing next time I'm slowing down like that.

waremark wrote:What about when the amount you are slowing is not sufficient to get the revs down to idle?

Well, I'd simply slow down until I've reached my desired speed, then change down into a more suitable gear if necessary.

TripleS wrote:
Mr Cholmondeley-Warner wrote:

Oi, that'll do: you'll be getting as bad as me. :lol:

Listen to Dave, he's old and wise... (ahem) :mrgreen:

Return to “Advanced Driving - Cars”