The most difficult aspect of Advanced Driving

Topics relating to Advanced Driving in cars
Horse

Re: The most difficult aspect of Advanced Driving

Postby Horse » Fri Oct 23, 2015 2:39 pm

Thanks, SD.

I [probably] know when it happens :) :geek: . . . when I'm concentrating enough on being off the brakes early enough to be on the throttle while the car is still straight, but obviously not concentrating hard enough to slow quite early to get it all done ;) It's a symptom of being rushed :roll:

Damn you, ADUK driving days! If I :ugeek: hadn't been Gareth/JC'd and Hanna'd . . . 8-) :lol: :mrgreen:
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

StressedDave

Postby StressedDave » Fri Oct 23, 2015 2:49 pm

Just be grateful you haven't been Me'd... :mrgreen: You'll be deaf in one ear from the constant complaints of More Power.

I think you're looking at the wrong aspects. If you take my 'keep braking until you know you can come off them' idea rather than 'this is the right speed, let's go' you may have more success. You're trying to concentrate on braking early enough to get it all in and smooth when you perhaps ought to be concentrating on 'braking until you don't need to and you've got enough time to make it smooth'.

Entry speeds are unimportant - exit speeds are. You gain more from the latter by going slower than you need to in the former. It's very easy to gain speed in the early part of the corner if you're going slower than you need to and a foot on the throttle finds it easier to push down as the limit point disappears off.

IME too many are worried about not being too slow on entry rather than not being quick enough on the way out. I was one of them. It took a lot of years and a lot of practice to worry more about exit speeds.

The more power thing comes from that...
All posts are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License. Do what you like with it, just don't make money off it.

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Fri Oct 23, 2015 2:55 pm

Aha, Nick's mantra #1 - when it feels a bit too slow, it's probably about right.
Nick

jont-

Postby jont- » Fri Oct 23, 2015 3:07 pm

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner wrote:Aha, Nick's mantra #1 - when it feels a bit too slow, it's probably about right.

I'm sure you've borrowed that from someone else ;) /no, not me

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Fri Oct 23, 2015 3:20 pm

I'm happy to be sued :evil:
Nick

CautiousD

Postby CautiousD » Fri Oct 23, 2015 6:01 pm

On right-handers, at some point my eyes almost always drop down and to the left, to the edge of the road.

jcochrane
Location: Surrey-Kent borders and wherever good driving roads are.

Postby jcochrane » Fri Oct 23, 2015 8:36 pm

jont- wrote:
Mr Cholmondeley-Warner wrote:Aha, Nick's mantra #1 - when it feels a bit too slow, it's probably about right.

I'm sure you've borrowed that from someone else ;) /no, not me

Whilst you two fight it out I usually say get the speed down to below what you feel you would be comfortable with for the bend. If you"re speed is not down below your comfort level then there is no way you can be comfortable at adding more throttle or as SD says more power.

jcochrane
Location: Surrey-Kent borders and wherever good driving roads are.

Postby jcochrane » Fri Oct 23, 2015 8:50 pm

CautiousD wrote:On right-handers, at some point my eyes almost always drop down and to the left, to the edge of the road.

Next time you are out driving every time you do that say out loud "eyes up". Try it you loose nothing but say it out loud don't just think it.

Horse

Postby Horse » Fri Oct 23, 2015 9:12 pm

jcochrane wrote:
CautiousD wrote:On right-handers, at some point my eyes almost always drop down and to the left, to the edge of the road.

Next time you are out driving every time you do that say out loud "eyes up". Try it you loose nothing but say it out loud don't just think it.

Go further than : tell yourself *what* to look for.

It's the difference between "Don't look down" and "Look at _____ ". In the first the person has to think "What do really have to do?"
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Fri Oct 23, 2015 9:14 pm

Yep - look at the hedgerow, the trees, whatever is at your eye level.
Nick

Return to “Advanced Driving - Cars”