Learning and teaching others how to learn

Topics relating to Advanced Driving in cars
WojtekS

Learning and teaching others how to learn

Postby WojtekS » Mon Dec 26, 2016 1:20 pm

Hello,

I am interested in your thoughts and experiences related to the process of learning how to drive better. Firstly, in my opinion, understanding the learning process helps you learn more effectively. Secondly, my trainees ask me sometimes how long will they need to practice a skill before they “have learnt it”, or what it takes to acquire a given skill. I am sure the questions below are something that many people on this forum have asked themselves or have been asked by their trainees. Can you share your thoughts?

1. Does the “unconscious incompetence / conscious incompetence / conscious competence / unconscious competence” model work for you? Have you used it for yourself? Have you used it to explain the learning process to your trainees?

2. Have you used other learning process models/schemes than the one above? What are they?

3. In your opinion, how many repetitions, or how much time, or how many kilometres of driving does one need to acquire a new complex skill? This new skill might be a new steering or gearchange technique, the ability to control a given type of skid, the ability to correctly observe the road in certain situation, etc.? Do you have any personal experiences with this?

4. What do you think does it take to make you master a given skill, apart from understanding it deeply and repetition? Would you agree that teaching other people helps?

5. Any useful tips for effective learning that you can suggest? Things that have helped you along the way?

6. Is there any particular order in which one should acquire advanced driving skills?

7. This question is about drivers who are already good at all basic things, such as observation, anticipation, knowledge or car handling, and who need a new learning stimulus. Do you think it makes sense to teach them car handling techniques which have no use in real-world driving, such as skids, left foot braking, J-turns, controlled 360-degree spins, etc. ? I have an impression that it works for me personally but I struggle to define how or why it works. Maybe it is just adding the fun factor? Or is it something more? What do you think?

8. Are there any particularly useful books or internet sources on the learning/training process that you could suggest?

If you have any thoughts on at least some of the points above, they would be much appreciated. Thank you.
Best regards from Poland

Astraist

Re: Learning and teaching others how to learn

Postby Astraist » Mon Dec 26, 2016 5:45 pm

1. Yes. Part of what I do with other drivers is to bring things they do in a subconscious competence to their conscious awareness, hone it and than reassimilate it into the subconscious.

2. Generally, I coach, albeit very prescriptively at times. I like helping people unlock their existing capabilities, but at the same time I acknowledge that sometimes one needs to tell others about things they don't even know how to ask for at the moment. It's also important to nudge them into beliefs, values and habits that correlate with hard data rather than just their own observations. I also try to have everything explained in theory, demonstrate and than practice several times - even if it's seemingly trivial.

3. Simple: practice until you are sick or bored of practicing, and then some more.

4. Confidence (via encouragement and success) and the right set of beliefs and values.

5. Knowing your current level of skill and striving for a measured level of improvement within a certain period of time. In Israel, advanced driving coaching sessions are often split with a couple of weeks in between, for that very end.

6. I usually work in the following order: Managing the driver personal level, optimizing the human-machine interface, basic emergency skills (braking, avoidance braking), space and speed management, anticipation and planning, managing the traffic around oneself. Once all that is done, dynamics, advanced car control, precision maneuvers and optimizing steering can be done.

7. Some of it, like car control - for sure.

8. Don Palmer has a decent driver's manual around somewhere.

ChristianAB

Postby ChristianAB » Thu Dec 29, 2016 7:17 pm

WojtekS wrote:Hello,

I am interested in your thoughts and experiences related to the process of learning how to drive better.

Why?

WojtekS

Postby WojtekS » Sun Jan 15, 2017 5:30 pm

ChristianAB wrote:Why?

Because it is interesting to hear what competent people think and what their experiences are.

Astraist, thanks for an interesting post.

Any other ideas, comments or suggestions?
Best regards from Poland

Return to “Advanced Driving - Cars”