Lane Discipline

Topics relating to Advanced Driving in cars
jont-

Re: Lane Discipline

Postby jont- » Wed Dec 21, 2016 7:02 pm

Can we couple this with technology that says if you can't do more than 10mph more than the vehicle your'e overtaking, you're DWDCA? Lorry racing causes so much unnecessary congestion, particularly on 2 lane roads around here like the M11/A14.

fungus

Postby fungus » Wed Dec 21, 2016 7:34 pm

jont- wrote:Can we couple this with technology that says if you can't do more than 10mph more than the vehicle your'e overtaking, you're DWDCA? Lorry racing causes so much unnecessary congestion, particularly on 2 lane roads around here like the M11/A14.

I was traveling West on the A31 thruogh the New Forest a few years ago in very heavy rush hour traffic which was taveling at about 65mph when the outside lane slowed to just over 50mph. This went on for about five miles. The cause? One road works lorry overtaking another. I would presume that both drivers were driving on the limiter. :evil:

Nigel.

jont-

Postby jont- » Wed Dec 21, 2016 7:43 pm

fungus wrote:
jont- wrote:Can we couple this with technology that says if you can't do more than 10mph more than the vehicle your'e overtaking, you're DWDCA? Lorry racing causes so much unnecessary congestion, particularly on 2 lane roads around here like the M11/A14.

I was traveling West on the A31 thruogh the New Forest a few years ago in very heavy rush hour traffic which was taveling at about 65mph when the outside lane slowed to just over 50mph. This went on for about five miles. The cause? One road works lorry overtaking another. I would presume that both drivers were driving on the limiter. :evil:

It's not just the overtaking, but the queue that then backs up mostly in lane 2 for an extended distance, coupled with the odd prat flying up L1 and trying to cut in.

The end of the A14 nearest the M6/M1 has a section which bans vehicles over 7.5T from L2 between IIRC 6am and 8pm. Of course it's entirely unenforced, so completely pointless :roll: :bash:

Horse

Postby Horse » Wed Dec 21, 2016 8:12 pm

martine wrote:I reckon it's feasible to have combined cameras/sensors to pick up drivers who are lane hogging and/or tailgating on motorways. The former is annoying and potentially dangerous and the latter is my No.1 pet hate and most definitely dangerous. I'd support automatic prosecution by technology.

Surprisingly difficult to achieve suitable evidence for prosecution. For example, what happens if, moments before arriving at the enforcement camera location, someone changed lanes and swerved in front of you?
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

crr003

Postby crr003 » Wed Dec 21, 2016 9:02 pm

http://www.howtogermany.com/pages/traff ... tailgating

Not only that - lane discipline; overtaking too slowly; use of cell phone while operating a bicycle and lots more.

That's the way to do it.

martine

Postby martine » Wed Dec 21, 2016 9:43 pm

Horse wrote:Surprisingly difficult to achieve suitable evidence for prosecution. For example, what happens if, moments before arriving at the enforcement camera location, someone changed lanes and swerved in front of you?

Not really - 2 cameras say 500m apart - tailgating same vehicles shown on both...prosecution awaits?
Martin - Bristol Advanced Motorists: IMI National Observer, Group Secretary, Masters (dist), DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)

akirk

Postby akirk » Wed Dec 21, 2016 10:25 pm

The thing is that often this may not be drivers hogging those lanes - it only needs a few slower vehicles each overtaking and using all three lanes in the distance and those waiting to overtake may rapidly form this pattern...

No issue with using Lane 1 but what do you plan to do when you get to that blockage of three slow vehicles overtake...? If you move out to pass, the. You have been undertaking the other cars and I think it is not appropriate - in that scenario I might move into a left lane and keep pace with the slower outer lanes of traffic - not undertaking and not adding to the tail back... generally when there is a chance to overtake the other cars that have since joined the outside lanes will recognise that you were there and let you out...

The Highway Code section is really there for continuous traffic in all three lanes e.g. rush hour, to allow for that flow dynamic - I don't believe it is there for traffic that is flowing more normally...

Alasdair

Horse

Postby Horse » Wed Dec 21, 2016 10:50 pm

martine wrote:
Horse wrote:Surprisingly difficult to achieve suitable evidence for prosecution. For example, what happens if, moments before arriving at the enforcement camera location, someone changed lanes and swerved in front of you?

Not really - 2 cameras say 500m apart - tailgating same vehicles shown on both...prosecution awaits?

Exactly. You're then getting into the nitty gritty of what is acceptable Vs worthy of prosecution - how close for how long?
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

martine

Postby martine » Wed Dec 21, 2016 11:10 pm

Horse wrote:Exactly. You're then getting into the nitty gritty of what is acceptable Vs worthy of prosecution - how close for how long?

Well yes but not insurmountable...it happens with speed offences - they have a 'tolerance' for prosecution after all e.g 10% + 2.

For tailgating I'd have though anything less than a 1 second following gap would be worthy of "falling below the standard expected of a competent driver". You get the gist and I believe it would be do-able both technically and legally.

I believe encouraging more drivers to open up a safe gap consistently would have wonderful effects on safety, stress, congestion and traffic flow.
Martin - Bristol Advanced Motorists: IMI National Observer, Group Secretary, Masters (dist), DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)

jont-

Postby jont- » Thu Dec 22, 2016 7:22 am

martine wrote:For tailgating I'd have though anything less than a 1 second following gap would be worthy of "falling below the standard expected of a competent driver". You get the gist and I believe it would be do-able both technically and legally.

The bar for "competent driver" (at least when judged in court) seems to be significantly below that which would be required to pass a DSA test though :(

And if you're going to have this approach to tailgating, how do you get over the issue of people not moving back to lane 1 - there seem to be plenty of drivers who will sit below the speed limit indefinitely unless you move up on them? Shouldn't they be the ones being prosecuted?

Return to “Advanced Driving - Cars”