Advanced Driving or Self Important?

Topics relating to Advanced Driving in cars
jont-

Re: Advanced Driving or Self Important?

Postby jont- » Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:29 pm

GTR1400MAN wrote:As for using the service station ... my mate was nearly wiped out here yesterday, while filling his bike with fuel, by a van using the forecourt to miss out the ped crossing at red! :o :(

Ah yes, there was a similar technique sometimes used at Meon Hut when I was taking part in road rallies as a student (ie to dive through the petrol station to avoid sitting for ages at a red light - usually in the wee small hours when very few other road users around).

sussex2

Postby sussex2 » Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:44 pm

akirk wrote:I think from the Google map view from that link... it gives the implication that the slip road splits left to Littlehampton and right to Chichester / Portsmouth. That split is before the lights and has no chance of going up the left and then cutting across - I assume you are refering to the lights which occur after that split?

Alasdair

There are two sets of lights:
One before the split, and just to confuse the matter, another just after.

Perhaps this is like looking at a few seconds of dashcam. It only really makes sense if you see the whole lot :)

sussex2

Postby sussex2 » Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:46 pm

jont- wrote:
GTR1400MAN wrote:As for using the service station ... my mate was nearly wiped out here yesterday, while filling his bike with fuel, by a van using the forecourt to miss out the ped crossing at red! :o :(

Ah yes, there was a similar technique sometimes used at Meon Hut when I was taking part in road rallies as a student (ie to dive through the petrol station to avoid sitting for ages at a red light - usually in the wee small hours when very few other road users around).

Different situation and given this is a more educated drivers forum, then safety is taken for granted - blatant cheek on the other hand, maybe not.
I feel for many motorbike users (I stopped being so mad long ago :) ) as I often drive a very low bright yellow soft top which seem to be - completely invisible.

akirk

Postby akirk » Thu Dec 15, 2016 5:20 pm

sussex2 wrote:
akirk wrote:I think from the Google map view from that link... it gives the implication that the slip road splits left to Littlehampton and right to Chichester / Portsmouth. That split is before the lights and has no chance of going up the left and then cutting across - I assume you are refering to the lights which occur after that split?

Alasdair

There are two sets of lights:
One before the split, and just to confuse the matter, another just after.

Perhaps this is like looking at a few seconds of dashcam. It only really makes sense if you see the whole lot :)

Ahhh :cheers:

I have got it now...
if you turn around and look behind you, you mean those traffic lights!!!
You see, give us a picture and we spot lights and get confused - didn't have a rear view mirror while looking at google!

absolutely - would def. pop past at those previous lights no reason not to

Alasdair

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Thu Dec 15, 2016 6:08 pm

Ahhhh, so THIS is where Sussex2 meant to link to. :)

Information phase failure. :hit: :D

Think I could use the left lane and out drag a traction engine ... even on my push bike! :bike:
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

sussex2

Postby sussex2 » Fri Dec 16, 2016 1:50 pm

GTR1400MAN wrote:Ahhhh, so THIS is where Sussex2 meant to link to. :)

Information phase failure. :hit: :D

Think I could use the left lane and out drag a traction engine ... even on my push bike! :bike:

Exactly! And given the next couple miles of the road are slow 2 way (once again thanks to the Howard family) you'd be away and gone and approaching Pompey before anyone caught up ;)

superplum

Postby superplum » Sat Dec 17, 2016 4:56 pm

sussex2 wrote: you'd be away and gone and approaching Pompey before anyone caught up ;)

Pompey? - perhaps we should think again then!
:lol: :lol:

sussex2

Postby sussex2 » Sat Dec 17, 2016 7:30 pm

superplum wrote:
sussex2 wrote: you'd be away and gone and approaching Pompey before anyone caught up ;)

Pompey? - perhaps we should think again then!
:lol: :lol:

That's what it's called hereabouts :)

Return to “Advanced Driving - Cars”