Advanced Driving or Self Important?

Topics relating to Advanced Driving in cars
Matt1962

Re: Advanced Driving or Self Important?

Postby Matt1962 » Wed Nov 30, 2016 3:33 pm

GTR1400MAN wrote:
superplum wrote:The video shows Direction/Route signs only; they are not "giving orders", so there is no need to comply with them - you may not wish to go to any of those destinations!
8-)

Look at the pic in the first post. The sign I'm referring to is on the right, not the direction signs with destinations.

He has complied with all the signage at the point he turns right from the right hand lane. Nothing illegal here that I can see, but it is not advanced driving in this case as he might have annoyed a number of people in the queue (and it might not be great to have them directly behind).
However, a 450 like this would be fine (in my book) if the left turn is clear and traffic is queuing to go straight on.

Kats Dad

Postby Kats Dad » Wed Nov 30, 2016 5:43 pm

This was discussed on the now defunct IAM forum, as I'm sure Mike will recall. Mr Price, in his video, asks why everyone doesn't do this. What would happen if everyone did? Well not everyone, obviously, as there would be no one in lane one, but let's say half of those wanting to turn left stayed in lane one and the other half, also wanting to turn left, used lane 2.

fungus

Postby fungus » Wed Nov 30, 2016 8:37 pm

Matt1962 wrote:
fungus wrote:A common occurance here.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.76937 ... a=!3m1!1e3

Drivers on the A348 Northbound commonly go 450 degrees. Some even go 540 degrees to avoid queueing.

Nigel.

If the reason for the queue is only traffic on Ringwood Rd. then I see no problem in doing 450 to turn left. 540 would be OK if the queue was in Magna Rd - (all the way round to avoid contravening the right turn arrow). It would not be very 'advanced' however to use this technique to end up further ahead in the same queue (as seems to be the case in the video), as it would be likely to provoke road rage.

Are any laws being broken in either case though? I don't think so.

The reason is queueing traffic on Ringwood Rd. Northbound. I've never seen it happen from any other road.

Nigel.

fungus

Postby fungus » Wed Nov 30, 2016 8:50 pm

If you look at this Street Maps image, you can clearly see the primary route sign with A341 West which is the left turn,, and ahead, which is the A348 to Ringwood, signed as left hand lane. The A341 East is the right hand lane. The sign also states get in lane.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.76723 ... 312!8i6656

Nigel.

superplum

Postby superplum » Fri Dec 02, 2016 8:53 am

GTR1400MAN wrote:
superplum wrote:The video shows Direction/Route signs only; they are not "giving orders", so there is no need to comply with them - you may not wish to go to any of those destinations!
8-)

Look at the pic in the first post. The sign I'm referring to is on the right, not the direction signs with destinations.

Yup, saw that. it's still a "Green" (guidance) sign though.
8-)

exportmanuk

Postby exportmanuk » Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:54 am

He complied with the (guidance) sign at the junction no issue, sound a pompous T though and difficult to see properly but did he block the junction taking his exit? Now if he really wanted to beat the traffic he would do the sensible thing and get a bike.
Andrew Melton
Manchester 500

LenWoodman55

Postby LenWoodman55 » Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:34 pm

A. Tom Topper in "Very Advanced Driving" states that, "The Very Advanced driver uses every opportunity with skill without risk or discourtesy." And demonstrates turning right at a roundabout from the left hand lane where the right lane is blocked. That's even more 'cheeky' than the situation being discussed here. If he hasn't committed any offences, and there was no sign of discourtesy, then I can't see any issues. Apart from that he is using less fuel, better for the environment. The only problem is the attitude of those he passed, envious that he's made more progress or that they hadn't thought of the alternative.

Perhaps traffic engineers should design in variations on choice when turning. And when we have autonomous vehicles will they 'decide' the most appropriate route available or will they be trained to always queue?

On a similar subject - that of using lanes - a good text on this can be found in 'Traffic' by Tom Vanderbilt, under, "Why I Became a Late Merger (and Why You Should Too)".

fungus

Postby fungus » Tue Dec 06, 2016 8:10 pm

LenWoodman55 wrote:A. Tom Topper in "Very Advanced Driving" states that, "The Very Advanced driver uses every opportunity with skill without risk or discourtesy." And demonstrates turning right at a roundabout from the left hand lane where the right lane is blocked. That's even more 'cheeky' than the situation being discussed here. If he hasn't committed any offences, and there was no sign of discourtesy, then I can't see any issues. Apart from that he is using less fuel, better for the environment. The only problem is the attitude of those he passed, envious that he's made more progress or that they hadn't thought of the alternative.

Perhaps traffic engineers should design in variations on choice when turning. And when we have autonomous vehicles will they 'decide' the most appropriate route available or will they be trained to always queue?

On a similar subject - that of using lanes - a good text on this can be found in 'Traffic' by Tom Vanderbilt, under, "Why I Became a Late Merger (and Why You Should Too)".

A. Tom Topper also suggests that when emerging left at a T junction with heavy traffic to indicate right and then switching your indicator left move into the gap that someone has left for you cross into. :roll: Turning right from the left hand lane at a roundabout is likely cause conflict and is potentially dangerous as the lead vehicle could well move onto the roundabout at the same time as you, and what if they're going ahead? You have nowhere to go.

Nigel.

Horse

Postby Horse » Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:05 pm

FWIW, in the documentation thread I mentioned by IAM test. The reason I had to do 50+ in a 30 to catch my examiner was because of him turning left from the rh lane at a light controlled T junction.

We'd both been filtering in the empty rh lane, with lights on green. About 4 cars back, I merged into the lh, left turn, lane. Examiner carried on as described, I stopped front of the grid as the lights changed.

By the time the lights sequenced, I expected the examiner to wait, but when I got around the corner he'd gone and as I carried on my next glimpse was of him still going. I caught up and overtook, we continued on. I passed.
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

Speary

Postby Speary » Mon Dec 12, 2016 11:10 am

Regarding painted arrows et al. These generally should be obeyed but if there was an incident I am pretty certain the court would chuck the book at you. Incident could be a collision or being discourteous to other drivers etc

Return to “Advanced Driving - Cars”