Explaining and developing gear selection with a 'student'.

Topics relating to Advanced Driving in cars
Adamxck

Re: Explaining and developing gear selection with a 'student'.

Postby Adamxck » Sun Nov 13, 2016 9:37 pm

To answer your question more properlyish, I have a whole 3 years experience with 'advanced' driving. Im probably good enough to be able to help someone with no years.

I hate the term 'advanced'. I prefer 'driving gooder' or 'to tear it up in a safe and controlled manner.'

Coaching wise, I do alright. It helps that my friend has both the will and aptitude to improve swiftly. I don't have the time or patience for uninterested fools, but have all the time in the world for people who want to learn.

I do blunt explainatons then await questions. Seems to work. I'm not in the 'what do you think I'm going to say' camp.
Adam.

WhoseGeneration

Postby WhoseGeneration » Wed Nov 16, 2016 7:53 pm

Adamxck wrote:To answer your question more properlyish, I have a whole 3 years experience with 'advanced' driving. Im probably good enough to be able to help someone with no years.

I hate the term 'advanced'. I prefer 'driving gooder' or 'to tear it up in a safe and controlled manner.'

Coaching wise, I do alright. It helps that my friend has both the will and aptitude to improve swiftly. I don't have the time or patience for uninterested fools, but have all the time in the world for people who want to learn.

I do blunt explainatons then await questions. Seems to work. I'm not in the 'what do you think I'm going to say' camp.

Just go your own way, that you're here means you understand.
If you can then help another, that's all good.

TheInsanity1234

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Fri Jan 06, 2017 6:08 pm

fungus wrote:
GTR1400MAN wrote:Ummm, if she is a complete learner shouldn't she be being taught to get in as high a gear as possible, as soon as possible? :twisted:

Not my learners. Depending on circumstance, for instance accelerating up hill, I encourage them to use the revs. My Fiesta will not pull up hill at anything under 3500rpm. I let them take it up to 5000rpm before changing up, and then only if the engine will continue to accelerate. As one of our local DVSA examiners said off the record, "I blame this eco driving for the pathetic progress made by some candidates. They are encouraged to get into the high gears far too early."

Nigel.

It was something my instructor and examiner seemed to comment on, my willingness to utilise what little power was provided by the little 1.0 in my instructor's Micra. Pretty sure my examiner enjoyed the fact I accelerated to 70 in 3rd when I was joining the A34 on test...

It does impress me how much technology has come on, as the 1.0 3 cylinder in my instructor's Micra probably produced about 60 hp, but wasn't very happy producing a single one of them, let alone them all, whereas the 1.0 3 cylinder in my Citigo absolutely loves being... used, shall we say? I don't abuse it, but I also don't mollycoddle it.

Return to “Advanced Driving - Cars”