Explaining and developing gear selection with a 'student'.

Topics relating to Advanced Driving in cars
Smeeagain

Re: Explaining and developing gear selection with a 'student'.

Postby Smeeagain » Fri Nov 11, 2016 11:23 am

Thanks for explaining. The former makes sense, but to say that "she's only had the book two days" clarifies it, it actually doesnt. I had been driving for 34 years before i started my advanced lessons. Two days later "I'd only had the book two days" :D
But it's great to see a complete learner being schooled in advanced ways.
Smee

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Fri Nov 11, 2016 11:33 am

Ummm, if she is a complete learner shouldn't she be being taught to get in as high a gear as possible, as soon as possible? :twisted:
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

IcedKiwi

Postby IcedKiwi » Fri Nov 11, 2016 11:35 am

Still not 100% sure which way around it is.... Nick miss quoted Smee when he snipped it and so definition of former/latter not quite clear!
Smeeagain wrote:do you mean... they can drive already.... or.... they are learning to drive

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner wrote:
Smeeagain wrote:do you mean ... they are learning to drive ... or ... they can drive already ...

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Fri Nov 11, 2016 11:37 am

I did. I've now fixed it (my excuse is I was on a tablet at the time and editing as I remembered stuff I hadn't put in). I think it should be fairly clear from other parts of Adam's messages, but for the sake of clarity:

She can already drive (as I understand it :) ) - Adam is just providing the advanced training aspect.
Nick

Adamxck

Postby Adamxck » Fri Nov 11, 2016 11:50 am

Yep.

She can drive though is totally new to AD. I'm merely explaining things and giving pointers as best I can.

I quite like the challenge as it forces me to notice my own shortcomings, like not really understanding load and wheels, and produce half decent demo drives.
Adam.

Adamxck

Postby Adamxck » Fri Nov 11, 2016 11:52 am

GTR1400MAN wrote:Ummm, if she is a complete learner shouldn't she be being taught to get in as high a gear as possible, as soon as possible? :twisted:

She is firmly in this camp.

We were approaching a hill in 4th. I told her to change gear and she took 5th...
Adam.

ChristianAB

Postby ChristianAB » Fri Nov 11, 2016 12:41 pm

I used to do that before I started AD. Oh well... :shock:

titian

Postby titian » Fri Nov 11, 2016 1:16 pm

Adamxck - are you an IMI qualified observer or maybe contemplating becoming one? Maybe I'm barking ujp the wrong tree as you have refered to Roadcraft being the course text, so that would indicated it's the "other" lot.

Adamxck

Postby Adamxck » Fri Nov 11, 2016 1:55 pm

titian wrote:Adamxck - are you an IMI qualified observer or maybe contemplating becoming one? Maybe I'm barking ujp the wrong tree as you have refered to Roadcraft being the course text, so that would indicated it's the "other" lot.

I'm merely a driving enthusiast trying to teach my friend how to drive like I do. (For better or worse!)

I think roadcraft gives a solid foundation from which to work, so I gave her it to read. No strong affiliation to any particular method or 'lot'.

I have no desire to do observing or tutoring officially. One padawan is enough for me. I like the informal nature of it.
Adam.

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Fri Nov 11, 2016 2:39 pm

Indeed, it can be very rewarding. Less pressure to conform to any particular doctrine, and it's great that your friend trusts you with her development. I've had the pleasure of one very talented "unofficial" associate, and it was among the best of my experiences as a tutor.

Roadcraft is a publicly available book, and many many people have used it who were not affiliated with any particular organisation. To my mind that's a very good thing.
Nick

Return to “Advanced Driving - Cars”