Fixed Grip Steering

Topics relating to Advanced Driving in cars
gannet

Re: Fixed Grip Steering

Postby gannet » Thu Oct 20, 2016 8:03 pm

For the record on the PC which I was using earlier I use the opera browser with no flash plugins.... And just got the please install flash banner.

I'll check if it's fixed later...

edit... yep all good, thanks :)

as you were...

Astraist

Postby Astraist » Fri Oct 21, 2016 8:28 am

waremark wrote:Interesting to see that even he runs out of steering occasionally (at the extremes he is driving at). Watch the modern rally cars and that doesn't happen as they have much quicker racks?. They can lock to lock without letting go.

Yes, they have shorter racks. In vintage rallying and particularly in more provincial leagues often the rack was stock, as was the power steering mechanism which was prone to fail. At low-end rally cars you might still see it.

On those sort of rally cars one couldn't manage without some steering method. Normally, it would be some sort of predictive steering guided by the pace-notes that specify corner severity.

In contemporary rally cars you usually get fixed-grip input with some modulation of hand positioning to ensure full range of motion, as well as the occasional hand reaching to the handbrake while the other steers.

GTR1400MAN wrote:And they tell us to steer smoothly! That seems pretty effective.

Well, it isn't so unsmooth. Some of the steering wheel saw motion on gravel is simply due to the kickback from the bumps in the terrain.

Yes, rally cars on gravel do attack corners at larger attitude angles, but they aren't going entirely sideways at a full-blown skid, they simply operate at a larger slip angle.

It's just the nature of how the tyre keys into such a surface at the limit. It doesn't mean that this driving style would allow you to drive faster or to unlock additional reserves in the performance envelope, if you are driving well within the limits as you would in a road car.

Another thing to consider is that driving at such a pace isn't a trivial act for any driver. So, under the duress of trying to go as fast as they can, racing drivers may develop all sorts of driving styles.

On the road, we are never in quite such a hurry and can therefore develop a driving style that is smoother and closer to the optimum. Hence they rarely get the ideal drive.

TripleS

Postby TripleS » Sat Oct 22, 2016 1:25 pm

GTR1400MAN wrote:This video popped up on Facebook today. Well worth a watch. My comment below.

Fixed grip steering. Enjoy one of the rally masters from the past. Interesting to see that even he runs out of steering occasionally (at the extremes he is driving at). Watch the modern rally cars and that doesn't happen as they have much quicker racks?. They can lock to lock without letting go. (Watch for the person walking their dog on the track on the right part way up!)

Thanks for that. Thanks also for referring to it as 'fixed grip', rather than 'fixed input' - which is a distinction that seems to escape some people.

jont-

Postby jont- » Sat Oct 22, 2016 3:22 pm

An HD version was remastered a couple of years ago.

Still one of my alltime favourite petrolhead videos.

Grahar

Postby Grahar » Sun Oct 23, 2016 10:42 pm

jont- wrote:An HD version was remastered a couple of years ago.

Still one of my alltime favourite petrolhead videos.

I've never seen a Peugeot 405 go so fast. I guess this model was a rung above the 'GLX' in the brochure!

Return to “Advanced Driving - Cars”