Is AD 'better driving'?

Topics relating to Advanced Driving in cars
Astraist

Re: Is AD 'better driving'?

Postby Astraist » Wed Oct 19, 2016 5:21 pm

Not so much "turning" but rather "steering." I normally start to steer well in advance of the road actually curving. If steering is initiated very slowly, this will not result in the car moving much away from the line desired for a view position, but will change the attitude of the car in a way that is both:
(a) Desirable from a handling point of view; (b) Gives following road users an inkling as to one's intention to use the lane to its fullest.

akirk

Postby akirk » Wed Oct 19, 2016 7:49 pm

to be fair no sane rider should have overtaken where he did - he only fitted in because I was on the left, it was a very dangerous move - I am not sure whether he would have been observant enough to detect any subtleties - I think this was a case where the AD benefits of the best line should have been ditched in favour of the AD benefits of preventing a motorcyclist from impaling himself on one of the many tractors likely to come around the corner :D

Alasdair

WhoseGeneration

Postby WhoseGeneration » Wed Oct 19, 2016 8:16 pm

Using AD, as a non exempt driver or rider, should mean one is better than those not having been exposed to the concept.
That though, flags up the basic problem.

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Wed Oct 19, 2016 8:27 pm

akirk wrote:to be fair no sane rider should have overtaken where he did - he only fitted in because I was on the left, it was a very dangerous move - I am not sure whether he would have been observant enough to detect any subtleties - I think this was a case where the AD benefits of the best line should have been ditched in favour of the AD benefits of preventing a motorcyclist from impaling himself on one of the many tractors likely to come around the corner :D

Alasdair

He maybe one of the breed who do this all the time. :( It's not just in your car. One of the things as a motorcyclist I have to be very wary of is other motorcyclists! The situation you described is common, as is being passed in a blind left-hander. Getting any of them to understand you are going slow(er) in a corner because you are considering your safety, or legality, and not because I can't get round the corner at the speed they want to go, is a point that is hard to get across. Oncoming motorbikes on straights have to be taken careful notice of as well, as they will often overtake very close to you. Sadly many rider/drivers see a motorcycle's single track narrowness as a reason to 'come on through'. Commanding your piece of the road is a skill ... as long as it doesn't turn into a game of chicken! :o

NB. We warn riders about their positioning possibly confusing following vehicles, so 'toning it down' can help in some circumstances.
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

waremark

Postby waremark » Thu Oct 20, 2016 1:58 am

Back to the topic. In what ways is it better? Smoother, safer, swifter in relation to the level of safety, more enjoyable? How much so, and which bits if any of the above motivate you?

We often pretend that safer is a major motivation, but that rather fights with the progress imperative. In my case, I choose to give away much of the safety I have bought with much training, practice and focus by driving dangerous cars on dangerous roads at ? speeds.

Horse

Postby Horse » Thu Oct 20, 2016 6:38 am

How much safety (eg as additional braking distance) is lost from going faster because "I'm 'making safe progress'!" ?

As per the 'surprise horizon' discussion a while back.
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

sussex2

Postby sussex2 » Thu Oct 20, 2016 6:38 am

Does progress fight with safety? Are you safer alone or in a group? Does learning to make safe progress hone your skills more generally?
You've already learned to drive to a system which is something the vast majority of drivers do not do. In order that this system will work you have had to improve your observation and forward planning.
You probably don't trust simply to reactions but rather make things happen.

waremark

Postby waremark » Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:01 am

sussex2 wrote:Does progress fight with safety? Are you safer alone or in a group? Does learning to make safe progress hone your skills more generally?
You've already learned to drive to a system which is something the vast majority of drivers do not do. In order that this system will work you have had to improve your observation and forward planning.
You probably don't trust simply to reactions but rather make things happen.

All of the above have bought me a great deal of extra safety. But when I choose to drive swiftly in a Caterham on challenging roads I have given back some of that safety. I do it because I enjoy the process, and the challenge of doing it as well as I can.

akirk

Postby akirk » Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:46 am

Agree with that - increasing your skill set does allow you to choose between extra contingency, or the same contingency, but a different level of challenge (e.g. car / road / etc.) - in reality I suspect that even in choosing extra challenge, you still retain some extra contingency as well...

Alasdair

TripleS

Postby TripleS » Sat Oct 22, 2016 1:17 pm

Horse wrote:Some of the uk's good orchestras do outreach in schools.

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=AND ... &FORM=VIRE

8-)

Return to “Advanced Driving - Cars”