Is AD 'better driving'?

Topics relating to Advanced Driving in cars
GTR1400MAN

Re: Is AD 'better driving'?

Postby GTR1400MAN » Fri Oct 14, 2016 6:10 pm

Yes Horse, happens all the time round here. The fact you are on the 'wrong' side if the road heading towards them with your headlight on seems to be seen as an aggressive act. I've been flashed and fists waved etc at me, yet like you I was back in my side of the road with a huge safety margin.

As for the 40s everywhere, they too get a*sey when they catch you again because you are obeying the (many in Suffolk) 30mph village limit.
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Sun Oct 16, 2016 6:58 pm

But I do like overtaking :)

Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

Astraist

Postby Astraist » Sun Oct 16, 2016 7:24 pm

All the overtakes in the video are legitimate, but I can see how others might deem overtake number 1 and number 4 "unsociable" in that there is oncoming traffic in sight, although at a more than adequate distance for safety.

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Sun Oct 16, 2016 8:58 pm

Astraist wrote:All the overtakes in the video are legitimate, but I can see how others might deem overtake number 1 and number 4 "unsociable" in that there is oncoming traffic in sight, although at a more than adequate distance for safety.

And I thought I was Mr Conservative when it came to overtaking. ;)

Cracking view up the left-hand side of the white van in overtake #4.

sussex2

Postby sussex2 » Mon Oct 17, 2016 7:39 am

If these overtakes were done by bike then yes I would agree they are all fine. I'd be more cautious in one or two of them by car.

sussex2

Postby sussex2 » Mon Oct 17, 2016 7:48 am

Horse wrote:Motorcyclists often 'suffer' from that lack of understanding - I know I'm not the only rider to be flashed by an oncoming vehicle . . . while I'm already safely returned to 'my' side of the road. Occasionally there's even been enough time after their flash that I've given them a wave before they pass . . .

That said, some motorcyclists ain't that good at overtaking and suffer as a result :(

I don't generalise but I do think a lot of motorcyclists in the UK do not help themselves. I say this because driving in France or Spain and most other countries and making room for a biker to overtake I am invariably thanked and generally by a raising of the left leg; likewise cyclists will often wave you on when they see an opportunity for you to pass - and I thank them by raising a hand.
Both these courtesies are rare in the UK and as the old saying goes 'little things make a difference'.

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:11 am

One of the things we cover on the IAM course is being courteous. Don't forget UK roads are more congested and it is not always possible/safe to wave an arm leg at the time.

I personally don't like vehicles moving over to 'help me' overtake (other than filtering in congested towns). They invariably do it approaching blind bends, junctions etc. Or slow up and move over kicking up all the debris from the side of the road, or even do it where there's solid white lines! just continue your drive in a safe manner, not up the backside of the car in front (which makes it a multiple vehicle overtake or not at all) and I'll find my way past when it is safe for me to do so.
Last edited by GTR1400MAN on Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:13 am

sussex2 wrote:If these overtakes were done by bike then yes I would agree they are all fine. I'd be more cautious in one or two of them by car.

I hope your car doesn't lean like that! :D

The camera was just above my headlight so the height advantage view for me as the rider was significant over what is seen on the video.

jont-

Postby jont- » Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:19 am

GTR1400MAN wrote:One of the things we cover on the IAM course is being courteous. Don't forget UK roads are more congested and it is not always possible/safe to wave an arm leg at the time.

I personally don't like vehicles moving over to 'help me' overtake (other than filtering in congested towns). They invariably do it approaching blind bends, junctions etc. Or slow up and move over kicking up all the debris from the side of the road, or even do it where there's solid white lines! just continue your drive in a safe manner, not up the backside of the car in front (which makes it a multiple vehicle overtake or not at all) and I'll find my way past when it is safe for me to do so.

I've had similar experiences in the Caterham - while it's great to get cooperation, some people do it in /really/ stupid places.

wrt bikes - I'll make a judgement call and if I think it's safe, I'll try and make more space for them. But I wish on twisties they'd learn to use their bloody mirrors and cooperate with me when I'm making better progress than they are :P (being able to squirt in a straight line means they can often make overtaking hard, even if they aren't really covering the ground) :gear:

sussex2

Postby sussex2 » Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:08 am

GTR1400MAN wrote:
sussex2 wrote:If these overtakes were done by bike then yes I would agree they are all fine. I'd be more cautious in one or two of them by car.

I hope your car doesn't lean like that! :D

The camera was just above my headlight so the height advantage view for me as the rider was significant over what is seen on the video.

No but my van does :)

Return to “Advanced Driving - Cars”