BGOL question

Topics relating to Advanced Driving in cars
Gareth

Re: BGOL question

Postby Gareth » Wed Sep 28, 2016 4:50 am

Horse wrote:He says the situation particularly needs BGOL and that's what he does.

The normal reason given is for a steep downhill into a sharp left turn.

I suspect that the sequence was saying that avoiding BGOL can be done everywhere ... feet off ... but there is one exception. One thing to watch out for is that people commonly say BGOL as a shorthand when meaning avoidance of same.
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Wed Sep 28, 2016 7:12 am

I think to understand we need to 'hear' the context. Can you watch it again and act as an audio to text converter and let us see a couple of sentences before and after the phrase.

Is he really saying both feet are lifting together or both feet will be off the pedals at some point? Or does he mean as you lift your foot off the brake you lift your clutch foot off the FLOOR to put on the pedal?

Just a biker rambling ... what do I know? :)
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

Horse

Postby Horse » Wed Sep 28, 2016 7:18 am

GTR1400MAN wrote:Is he really saying both feet are lifting together

Yup. And that's what struck me as odd.

I'm beginning to wonder what I saw/remember now - but there may have been a shot into the footwell at that point to emphasise it.
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

sussex2

Postby sussex2 » Wed Sep 28, 2016 8:12 am

I sorted the BGOL thing out years ago.
Most of the time I don't do it but there are occasions, when the stability of the vehicle is not compromised, that I do it freely.
I think there are times when it is advantageous for reasons of safety to use the method; a tight left turn in busy traffic being perhaps one of them especially with a high torque diesel fighting the brakes.

Rolyan

Postby Rolyan » Wed Sep 28, 2016 11:47 am

Without much more information and context, it's impossible for us to know (or even guess) what the esteemed CG meant. It's made worse by his change of stance on the subject over the last few years (by his own admission he moved from a "thou shalt avoid it" to "it probably doesn't matter at slow speeds").

Why not send him an email and ask him direct.

Horse

Postby Horse » Wed Sep 28, 2016 12:17 pm

I'll watch it again first, listen out for the revs. etc. and report back first.

TBH I'd expected that someone here would have watched it!

Rolyan

Postby Rolyan » Wed Sep 28, 2016 1:19 pm

Horse wrote:I'll watch it again first, listen out for the revs. etc. and report back first.

TBH I'd expected that someone here would have watched it!

You've done the classic schoolboy error of assuming that us keyboard warriors actually know something.

I've watched a LOT of DVDs in my time, from Roadcraft to Mark Kendrick to Hugh Noblett to Mr Gilbert's, but I didn't bother with his last one when I realised that they were all saying the same thing and that there is no driving holy grail!

crr003

Postby crr003 » Wed Sep 28, 2016 1:30 pm

Horse wrote:Whoops, yes, I'm asking a question about BGOL . . .

I mentioned elsewhere that I have inflicted ;) Chris Gilbert's DVD on Foal (first driving lesson booked for two weeks time).

During the programme, CG mentions BGOL, and lifting "both feet off the pedals together". Does he actually mean that, ie no attempt at any sort of rev matching? Or have I misunderstood? Or is he intending that the vehicle is slow enough that 'tickover in the gear selected' is the intention?

Which DVD is it?

From the old days, here's a quote that might hopefully shed some light on your question.

Vonhosen wrote:Full overlap
A full overlap is perfectly acceptable on the grounds of safety. It shouldn't of course be a forced action as a result of a misjudgement, but should instead be part of a pre-planned approach to compromise the system on the grounds of safety. In commentary you would say "I am going to overlap on the grounds of safety because......" NOT " I overlapped because...." (which is historical & never convincing.)
For the full overlap you would extend the braking (so it's slightly less firm in the 2nd stage brakes) & as you are alongside the artic whilst still on the brake, you fully depress the clutch & take the required gear (there is no "Rev" on the down change with an overlap. This is not a problem because road speed & engine speed will be so low & slightly slower than if you had separated.) You should then start to gently release the clutch & effectively come off the clutch & brake pedal together at the correct speed just prior to turning in. You should still also be off the brake & clutch, with your foot on the accelerator, BEFORE you turn in.

Some people have a different definition of full overlap.

Horse

Postby Horse » Wed Sep 28, 2016 2:33 pm

crr003 wrote:
Horse wrote:Whoops, yes, I'm asking a question about BGOL . . .

I mentioned elsewhere that I have inflicted ;) Chris Gilbert's DVD on Foal (first driving lesson booked for two weeks time).

During the programme, CG mentions lifting "both feet off the pedals together". Does he actually mean that, ie no attempt at any sort of rev matching? Or have I misunderstood? Or is he intending that the vehicle is slow enough that 'tickover in the gear selected' is the intention?

Which DVD is it?

First one, I think, 'Driving 4 Tomorrow'?

crr003 wrote:
Horse wrote: During the programme, CG mentions BGOL, and lifting "both feet off the pedals together". Does he actually mean that, ie no attempt at any sort of rev matching? Or have I misunderstood? Or is he intending that the vehicle is slow enough that 'tickover in the gear selected' is the intention?

Vonhosen wrote: . . . You should then start to gently release the clutch & effectively come off the clutch & brake pedal together

Sounds the same, then! No attempt at rev-matching, so reliant on either the vehicle pulling from tickover or the selected gear pulling up the revs to a usable level (presuming that a usable gear is selected appropriate to the road speed).

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Wed Sep 28, 2016 8:53 pm

I've got that DVD. If you can point me to roughly the place in the film I'll have a watch again. TBH I only watched his videos once. I was lent the second (double) DVD, and while nicely produced, I don't remember any "aha!" moments in it, so I didn't bother buying my own.
Nick

Return to “Advanced Driving - Cars”