BGOL question

Topics relating to Advanced Driving in cars
Horse

BGOL question

Postby Horse » Mon Sep 26, 2016 3:39 pm

Whoops, yes, I'm asking a question about BGOL . . .

I mentioned elsewhere that I have inflicted ;) Chris Gilbert's DVD on Foal (first driving lesson booked for two weeks time).

During the programme, CG mentions BGOL, and lifting "both feet off the pedals together". Does he actually mean that, ie no attempt at any sort of rev matching? Or have I misunderstood? Or is he intending that the vehicle is slow enough that 'tickover in the gear selected' is the intention?
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

IcedKiwi

Re: BGOL question

Postby IcedKiwi » Mon Sep 26, 2016 6:46 pm

Haven't seen the DVD but could he mean that you shouldn't be putting your foot on the clutch until your other one is off the brake and over the accelerator?
i.e when coming off the brakes, there should be a period where "both feet are off the pedals together" before pushing in the clutch and rev matching as required

Edit: Assuming he's talking about avoiding BGOL rather than how to BGOL if you need it

Horse

Postby Horse » Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:08 pm

Nope, the hint is that the thread is 'BGOL' ;)

WhoseGeneration

Postby WhoseGeneration » Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:08 pm

I pity Foal's instructor.

Horse

Postby Horse » Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:31 pm

You might be surprised . . .

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=383

waremark

Postby waremark » Tue Sep 27, 2016 12:21 am

I haven't watched it. But Roadcraft does suggest circumstances in which BGOL is appropriate, and the police driving schools do not normally teach H & T. Some police instructors consider the way to use BGOL is to change down right at the end of braking without any attempt at rev matching but when the required engine speed will be quite low. An alternative is partial overlap where the gear change again happens right at the end of braking, but with the clutch not coming up until after the end of braking. In that case rev matching is possible. Neither of these involve both feet off.

Full separation does involve both feet off. Is there any chance he has used the term BGOL to refer to avoidance of BGOL?

Horse

Postby Horse » Tue Sep 27, 2016 7:02 am

No, it's a very specific use of BGOL, just one 'introduced/pre-warned/explained' instance.

As I said, he says he's lifting feet off clutch and brake pedals at the same time.

FWIW, my normal 'style' (as I like to call it ;) ) often involves declutching during braking, as going from high (er) speeds in high gear will lead to a stall at low speed. Coincidently, the car will pull from tickover, so hardly needs rev matching if the appropriate gear is selected! However, he didn't explain anything like that.

Horse

Postby Horse » Tue Sep 27, 2016 6:42 pm

So no-one knows? So much for the forum membership . . . Only a year old - haven't even got to the terrible twos . . .

akirk

Postby akirk » Tue Sep 27, 2016 7:00 pm

does he make this comment while showing / demonstrating it?
If so, can you see what is happening ref. revs at each stage?

Alasdair

Horse

Postby Horse » Tue Sep 27, 2016 8:09 pm

akirk wrote:does he make this comment while showing / demonstrating it?
If so, can you see what is happening ref. revs at each stage?

Alasdair

Hmmm . . . Good Qs. I'll have to watch it again (hey-ho, only an hour and a half . . . ;) ). He says the situation particularly needs BGOL and that's what he does. I'm afraid it was the 'feet' comment that caught my attention.

Perhaps a supplementary question is: how do others deal with the 'feet off' aspect of BGOL?

Return to “Advanced Driving - Cars”