Nick

Smeeagain

Re: Looking after cyclists

Postby Smeeagain » Wed Sep 21, 2016 10:52 am

Yes I couldn't agree more on all points

gannet

Re: Looking after cyclists

Postby gannet » Wed Sep 21, 2016 3:25 pm

An issue I face every day from the seat of my pants. I have in the past submitted video to a well known supermarket against one of their delivery drivers (who overtook with barely 50cm of space...). To their credit they took it seriously and I'm assured have sent the driver on a retraining course...

There are various approaches on the roads I use - by far the best though is as Mr Cholmondeley-Warner aludes to - that of no direct provision. There is one road I was quite happy on with cycle lanes marked down the side of it - the intervening space marked by mini no-mans land paint... The council however have since decided that it would be far better for the cyclists to mix it with pedestrians instead and proceeded to re-engineer the road by inserting 12' wide pavement down one side... thus making the road narrower. I however still use the road to cycle down as it's easier to control following traffic than warn pedestrians of a 20mph cyclist approaching from behind...

Just this morning I had a rather irate motorcyclist (yes you read that right) gesticulating to me that I should be using the provided cycle lane down the left of the road - fine except it was also down the left of a long line of stationary traffic. A situation I find terrifying for a number of reasons, so I therefore overtake rather than undertake.

Return to “Advanced Driving - Cars”