Two Chevron rule

Topics relating to Advanced Driving in cars
Smeeagain

Two Chevron rule

Postby Smeeagain » Thu Sep 08, 2016 4:57 pm

Looking for the collective wisdom please on the sign that says "Keep two chevrons apart"
If the first Chevron is numbered one, and the next one, teo, three, etc, is the sign meant to be interpreted as follows;
If my vehicle is on top of chevron one, then the car in front is on chevron three - two chevrons apart
Or ... If my vehicle is on top of chevron one, then the car in front is on chevron four - two chevrons apart
Or ..... If my vehicle is a couple of metres before chevron one and the vehicle in front is a metre beyond chevron two - two chevrons apart.

They can all be defined as being two chevrons apart, but there is a huge difference between options two and three.

I think I know what the answer is supposed to be but I dont want to lead the jury and when it came up in conversation today there was a huge difference of opinion.....

Smee

Strangely Brown

Re: Two Chevron rule

Postby Strangely Brown » Thu Sep 08, 2016 5:01 pm

The chevrons are 40m apart. How many you need to see depends on your speed.

Image stolen from a post on another forum...

Smeeagain

Postby Smeeagain » Thu Sep 08, 2016 7:27 pm

Strangely Brown wrote:The chevrons are 40m apart. How many you need to see depends on your speed.

Image stolen from a post on another forum...

Yes but the sign says keep two apart without reference to speed, and in my examples there are different ways of interpreting it.

Strangely Brown

Postby Strangely Brown » Thu Sep 08, 2016 7:57 pm

Smeeagain wrote:Yes but the sign says keep two apart without reference to speed, and in my examples there are different ways of interpreting it.

Are you going to blindly obey the sign or use your intelligence and maintain a safe distance?

Rolyan

Postby Rolyan » Thu Sep 08, 2016 8:04 pm

Here's one possibility, if you want some maths so that you can debate it in the pub with the other experts.

Travelling at 70mph, stopping distance is 96 metres. So if the car in front is on chevron one, and you are on chevron 3, that's only 80 metres. If you are on chevron 4 you are on 120 metres. So if you can see 2 chevrons between you, you are about 100 metres. Bingo.

Smeeagain

Postby Smeeagain » Thu Sep 08, 2016 9:10 pm

Strangely Brown wrote:
Smeeagain wrote:Yes but the sign says keep two apart without reference to speed, and in my examples there are different ways of interpreting it.

Are you going to blindly obey the sign or use your intelligence and maintain a safe distance?

That's my point. I go with two second rule, 4 second rule in wet, 96 metres whatever you want etc etc etc but for the average Joe the sign is open to wildly differening interpretations as its presented.

Smeeagain

Postby Smeeagain » Thu Sep 08, 2016 9:15 pm

Rolyan wrote:Here's one possibility, if you want some maths so that you can debate it in the pub with the other experts.

Travelling at 70mph, stopping distance is 96 metres. So if the car in front is on chevron one, and you are on chevron 3, that's only 80 metres. If you are on chevron 4 you are on 120 metres. So if you can see 2 chevrons between you, you are about 100 metres. Bingo.

Exactly. But if you are just before chevron 1 and the car in front is just after chevron 3 then you'd be just over 40 metres apart, and, therefore, complying with the sign, but not a hope in hell of stopping and yet that is how average joe (sometimes) interprets the sign .....
Im not talking at all how about advanced drivers do or should interpret the sign, im raising the point that others can seriously misinterpret and yet genuinly believe theyre being compliant.

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Thu Sep 08, 2016 9:26 pm

It's not rocket science is it? Two chevrons need to be visible between you and the car in front ALL the time. Not at one point in time.

The sign says KEEP ;)
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

waremark

Postby waremark » Thu Sep 08, 2016 11:09 pm

GTR1400MAN wrote:It's not rocket science is it? Two chevrons need to be visible between you and the car in front ALL the time. Not at one point in time.

The sign says KEEP ;)

I am with the OP, I think it is extremely confusing. The French system is much clearer - long lines with short gaps between and it says keep at least two lines apart. I am happy that it is actually asking you to keep at least 80m apart, but it could be so much clearer.

Question - do you notice people leaving longer following distances on stretches of m'way which have these markings? I don't think I do.

Rolyan

Postby Rolyan » Fri Sep 09, 2016 6:11 am

Smeeagain wrote:
Rolyan wrote:Here's one possibility, if you want some maths so that you can debate it in the pub with the other experts.

Exactly. But if you are just before chevron 1 and the car in front is just after chevron 3 then you'd be just over 40 metres apart, and, therefore, complying with the sign, but not a hope in hell of stopping and yet that is how average joe (sometimes) interprets the sign .....
Im not talking at all how about advanced drivers do or should interpret the sign, im raising the point that others can seriously misinterpret and yet genuinly believe theyre being compliant.

I fully agree with you. The sign is extremely confusing.

If I had known that was the only answer you wanted, it would have saved a lot of time. That's a few minutes of my life that I'll never get back.

Return to “Advanced Driving - Cars”