Two Chevron rule

Topics relating to Advanced Driving in cars
Silk

Re: Two Chevron rule

Postby Silk » Sun Sep 11, 2016 9:40 am

Smeeagain wrote:Looking for the collective wisdom please on the sign that says "Keep two chevrons apart"

Unlike the smart-arses on this thread who obviously know everything, I'm going to agree with you that they're confusing. The fact that we're having this discussion at all means they've failed in their intended purpose.

I spend a great deal of my time on motorways as well as being a driving enthusiast. If I haven't a clue what they mean, what hope is there for my mother-in-law (who still thinks a 60 sign on a motorway means she can drive on the hard shoulder :shock: )?

They should have come up with something better or, better still, not bothered at all.

I just keep to my (minimum) two-second gap.

Gareth

Postby Gareth » Sun Sep 11, 2016 12:33 pm

Silk wrote:I'm going to agree with you that they're confusing. The fact that we're having this discussion at all means they've failed in their intended purpose.

I tend to think they're designed to create confusion in the minds of most drivers, who then tend to be a little more cautious. Nothing in the discussion so far has convinced me otherwise however I took the trouble to look it up on t'internet and found the following:
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...

Smeeagain

Postby Smeeagain » Sun Sep 11, 2016 2:14 pm

Silk wrote:
Smeeagain wrote:Looking for the collective wisdom please on the sign that says "Keep two chevrons apart"

Unlike the smart-arses on this thread who obviously know everything, I'm going to agree with you that they're confusing. The fact that we're having this discussion at all means they've failed in their intended purpose.

I spend a great deal of my time on motorways as well as being a driving enthusiast. If I haven't a clue what they mean, what hope is there for my mother-in-law (who still thinks a 60 sign on a motorway means she can drive on the hard shoulder :shock: )?

They should have come up with something better or, better still, not bothered at all.

Thanks for your comments and support. I'm new to Advanced Driving, and to the forum, and I did feel as though I got a bit of kicking for speaking up and raising something that I personally think is confusing.

Smee

Silk

Postby Silk » Sun Sep 11, 2016 4:11 pm

Smeeagain wrote:
Silk wrote:

Thanks for your comments and support. I'm new to Advanced Driving, and to the forum, and I did feel as though I got a bit of kicking for speaking up and raising something that I personally think is confusing.

I'm sure there are people out there who are never confused by anything, no matter how illogical it may appear to those of only normal driving ability. Either that or they're being less than truthful. ;)

I remember when I started out on this "journey" and still cringe at some of the questions I asked. That didn't mean I was wrong to ask them.

Smeeagain

Postby Smeeagain » Mon Sep 12, 2016 12:59 pm

Silk wrote:
Smeeagain wrote:
Silk wrote:

I'm sure there are people out there who are never confused by anything, no matter how illogical it may appear to those of only normal driving ability. Either that or they're being less than truthful. ;)

I don't mind them not being confused, it's the apparent refusal or apparent reluctance, to acknowledge others could be confused.

Thanks again for your comments and support, it means a lot, I had begun to question in my own mind whether or not I should continue to frequent the forum.

Smee

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Mon Sep 12, 2016 1:44 pm

:lol: Personally I wasn't against you saying: "they're confusing". That would have been enough. But what you actually did was say "what do you think they mean?", and then proceed to show how everyone else's interpretation was wrong, in your opinion.

You always have to accept that if you post an opinion, others will differ. They won't just congratulate you for being right.

:cheers:

PS LOL @ Silk the diplomat :P
Nick

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Mon Sep 12, 2016 1:48 pm

Smee

Sometimes forum replies can seem a little robust (not just here), but then we all defend our personal views. You strongly hold your view the chevrons are confusing and made the point several times. Some of us tried to explain why they are not to us.

Here's a link to a basic mathematics number line taught in most schools. If you replace the numbers with chevrons, you can see that your point in time scenario is only ONE chevron apart.

Click to see image
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

jont-

Postby jont- » Mon Sep 12, 2016 1:57 pm

GTR1400MAN wrote:Smee

Sometimes forum replies can seem a little robust (not just here), but then we all defend our personal views. You strongly hold your view the chevrons are confusing and made the point several times. Some of us tried to explain why they are not to us.

Here's a link to a basic mathematics number line taught in most schools. If you replace the numbers with chevrons, you can see that your point in time scenario is only ONE chevron apart.

Click to see image

But distance is continuous, not discrete. How many bars on your number chart between 1.9999999 and 3.0000001?

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Mon Sep 12, 2016 2:21 pm

jont- wrote:But distance is continuous, not discrete. How many bars on your number chart between 1.9999999 and 3.0000001?

But you are just reiterating the point in time argument. :headbang:

A fraction of second later, 0.0000002 to be precise, your cars will be at 2.0000001 and 3.0000003 :ugeek:

The key word is KEEP (def: continue or cause to continue). :geek:
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

Horse

Postby Horse » Mon Sep 12, 2016 2:30 pm

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner wrote: You always have to accept that if you post an opinion, others will differ.

No they won't ;)

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner wrote: They won't just congratulate you for being right.

But well done anyway :)
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

Return to “Advanced Driving - Cars”