Two Chevron rule

Topics relating to Advanced Driving in cars
GTR1400MAN

Re: Two Chevron rule

Postby GTR1400MAN » Thu Sep 15, 2016 12:34 pm

Strangely Brown wrote:Which is exactly what GTR1400MAN has been saying about the operative word in the sign being "KEEP" two chevrons apart.

Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

TheInsanity1234

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Thu Sep 15, 2016 4:01 pm

Strangely Brown wrote:Which is exactly what GTR1400MAN has been saying about the operative word in the sign being "KEEP" two chevrons apart.

I know :D I just thought perhaps someone else explaining it might make a difference!

To be fair to the OP, my parents think that the rule means you follow the car in front at a distance just a bit longer than one space's length, as in, they cross a chevron just after the car in front has crossed the chevron in front.

So I can see how ordinary drivers can misunderstand it by simply ignoring the whole "KEEP" part :mrgreen:

fungus

Postby fungus » Thu Sep 15, 2016 7:47 pm

sussex2 wrote:There are more likely to be collisions whilst people work out what a chevron is.

And Silk gets his calculator out to add the numbers on the number line. :shock: :lol:

Nigel.

Rolyan

Postby Rolyan » Fri Sep 16, 2016 9:14 am

GTR1400MAN wrote:

I explained it on page 1, with basic maths to back it up. How come the biker gets congratulated?

Strangely Brown

Postby Strangely Brown » Fri Sep 16, 2016 9:24 am

You did indeed. I'll put that down to short term memory loss due to advancing age. Who knows, I might even get away with it.

In my defence, m'lud: "the biker" was the first to highlight the importance of the word itself, "KEEP".

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Fri Sep 16, 2016 11:08 am

Rolyan wrote:I explained it on page 1, with basic maths to back it up. How come the biker gets congratulated?

Coz your maths only gives you about 50m meters using Smeeagain's original point that you can have two between you (at a point in time) and be nowhere near far enough away. ;)

PS. I know my place :biker:
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

Rolyan

Postby Rolyan » Fri Sep 16, 2016 11:09 pm

In my head it was correct, but I admit it was dependent on him being on a chevron and you then seeing another 2. That would be near enough 100metres.

However, round here we still have Satan's slaves and Blue Angels, so I'm not arguing!!!

hir

Postby hir » Sat Sep 17, 2016 9:28 am

Smeeagain wrote:Looking for the collective wisdom please on the sign that says "Keep two chevrons apart"
If the first Chevron is numbered one, and the next one, teo, three, etc, is the sign meant to be interpreted as follows;
If my vehicle is on top of chevron one, then the car in front is on chevron three - two chevrons apart
Or ... If my vehicle is on top of chevron one, then the car in front is on chevron four - two chevrons apart
Or ..... If my vehicle is a couple of metres before chevron one and the vehicle in front is a metre beyond chevron two - two chevrons apart.

They can all be defined as being two chevrons apart, but there is a huge difference between options two and three.

Smee

It seems to me that the "collective wisdom" on here is guilty of overthinking this question, resulting in too many diverse answers, interpretations and measurements :o . But, of course, we wouldn't be advanced drivers if we didn't overthink every question that's thrown at us. :lol:

As individuals who are interested in driving we are always looking for logic and reason when considering the type of question posed by the OP. However, when it comes to "keep two chevrons apart" there is no definitive answer to the question posed; there is no logic to be applied to the "rule" of "keep two chevrons apart"; there is simply no "correct" answer to the question. A moment's though will make this obvious when one considers that minimum following distance is determined by speed and road conditions (aka "the two-second rule"). Indeed the explanation is much simpler than one may think. The genius road engineers who came up with this "keep two chevrons apart" wheeze were not expecting anyone to "interpret" it in any sensible, logical or precise manner at all. No, it's nothing more than a simple message to Mr & Mrs Joe public urging them... "not to drive too close to the car in front when you're driving on the motorway at 70mph!" And, yes, they paint some chevrons on the road but that's just to give the drivers some sense of spatial awareness and distance between themselves and the vehicle in front. It's not intended that the "rule" should have a specific, or logical meaning or interpretation. Mr & Mrs Joe Public wouldn't be able to cope with that at 70mph. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Silk

Postby Silk » Sat Sep 17, 2016 11:20 am

sussex2 wrote:There are more likely to be collisions whilst people work out what a chevron is.

It's a type of American car?

sussex2

Postby sussex2 » Sat Sep 17, 2016 12:48 pm

Silk wrote:

It's a type of American car?

You are talking to someone who drove a Chrevrolet Corvair for some time, and lived :o

Return to “Advanced Driving - Cars”