Dragging them kicking and screaming into the 21st century .....

Topics relating to Advanced Driving in cars
Smeeagain

Dragging them kicking and screaming into the 21st century .....

Postby Smeeagain » Wed Sep 07, 2016 12:57 pm

I received my RoSPA Silver certificate and examiners report on Monday in the post - a week after the test so quite happy with that and the contents.

I wanted to snd it on to my instructor and was going to scan it but I thought why not ask them for an electronic copy - after all it was already typed up so must be stored somewhere.

I emailed them and asked for an electronic copy in either Word, PDF, or similar format that I could open on my laptop. I got a call today asking why I wanted this - I explained to be able to store it on my computer in my 'all things cars' file and to share it with friends colleagues etc. Hmmmmm what format do you need they said? I reiterated word/pdf etc. I pointed out I could scan it myself but just wondered if they had an electronic output format. Hmmm we've never been asked for this before said the nice lady, leave it with me......

Ten mins later I had a pdf

Technology :D

Horse

Re: Dragging them kicking and screaming into the 21st century .....

Postby Horse » Wed Sep 07, 2016 1:51 pm

Certificates are 'nice' - but how many people just file them in a drawer and that's that? Save on printing & postage & time . . .
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

Smeeagain

Postby Smeeagain » Wed Sep 07, 2016 4:28 pm

Indeed. And that was my point exactly. They should reverse the system. Everything electronic, with hard copy certificate on request by exception ....

superplum

Postby superplum » Thu Sep 08, 2016 9:34 pm

Smeeagain wrote:Indeed. And that was my point exactly. They should reverse the system. Everything electronic, with hard copy certificate on request by exception ....

Disagree with that. A hard copy cert is the proof of the award, an electronic file is just a record (my view). As an aside, did you receive a membership card with your package (?) - they seem to be missing for a few members.

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Fri Sep 09, 2016 7:19 am

Be careful what you wish for. They recently introduced a £5 charge for tutor certificates. They didn't seem to have a way of administering it, though, so I don't think our group ever paid one.
Nick

Horse

Postby Horse » Fri Sep 09, 2016 9:21 am

superplum wrote:
Smeeagain wrote:Indeed. And that was my point exactly. They should reverse the system. Everything electronic, with hard copy certificate on request by exception ....

Disagree with that. A hard copy cert is the proof of the award, an electronic file is just a record (my view). As an aside, did you receive a membership card with your package (?) - they seem to be missing for a few members.

If you have a car older than three years, do you have a nice, embossed, hand-written, MoT certificate? Nope. It's the way things are going.

It's probably more important, if abuse/deception is likely, that some form of checking is available though. In the case of MoTs, it's a simple on-line check.

superplum

Postby superplum » Fri Sep 09, 2016 10:29 am

Horse wrote:
superplum wrote:

If you have a car older than three years, do you have a nice, embossed, hand-written, MoT certificate? Nope. It's the way things are going.

It's probably more important, if abuse/deception is likely, that some form of checking is available though. In the case of MoTs, it's a simple on-line check.

No comparison though is there? The "MOT" is a computerised record of vehicle inspections that can be interrogated. - it's not an award for personal achievement. I wonder if those leaving Uni with their degrees would accept a USB stick/.pdf in lieu at the degree award ceremonies?

jont-

Postby jont- » Fri Sep 09, 2016 10:33 am

superplum wrote:I wonder if those leaving Uni with their degrees would accept a USB stick/.pdf in lieu at the degree award ceremonies?

I was quite happy to skip my award ceremony. What a load of pretentious drivel :lol:

Surely it should just be uploaded to soshul meedja with a cat picture these days?

waremark

Postby waremark » Fri Sep 09, 2016 12:35 pm

jont- wrote:
superplum wrote:I wonder if those leaving Uni with their degrees would accept a USB stick/.pdf in lieu at the degree award ceremonies?

I was quite happy to skip my award ceremony. What a load of pretentious drivel :lol:

Surely it should just be uploaded to soshul meedja with a cat picture these days?

These things are appreciated by some - most graduates pay for degree ceremony photos, and I expect quite a lot of successful IAM and Rospa candidates hang their certificates on the wall (I have my test report up in the loo, alongside the Mensa certificates of my wife and children).

Horse

Postby Horse » Fri Sep 09, 2016 12:51 pm

waremark wrote: alongside the Mensa certificates of my wife and children

. . . With a space between for your 'Failed with distinction' certificate? :? :lol: ;)

Mind you, there might be scope their for streamlining the test system: how about RoSPA / IAM HQ send you a time and date, and a test route. You go out on your own for a drive, then award yourself the appropriate grade of pass? No need for a pesky examiner to be involved :shock: 8-) :lol:

Return to “Advanced Driving - Cars”