X Factor mocks Advanced Driving

Topics relating to Advanced Driving in cars
waremark

X Factor mocks Advanced Driving

Postby waremark » Tue Sep 06, 2016 3:25 pm

In the early stages of X Factor the judges audition some no-hopers alongside the contestants who can sing. The no-hopers who appear on prime time TV seem to be selected for humour value generally at the contestants expense.

Last week there was a no-hoper attempting to explain her hobby of Advanced Driving - to grimaces from the judges. It is available to view on ITV Hub from 24 minutes after the 3rd ad break from the episode of Sunday 28th August.

Not a good advertisement for our hobby.

Astraist

Re: X Factor mocks Advanced Driving

Postby Astraist » Tue Sep 06, 2016 4:41 pm

If the grimace was light-hearted rather than mockery, than I wouldn't be too offended or concerned. Humor can actually reach some people far better than a more serious tone.

ratty

Postby ratty » Tue Sep 06, 2016 4:42 pm

Do you really watch the X Factor ????

Not a good advertisement for your TV viewing habits ;)

martine

Postby martine » Tue Sep 06, 2016 5:34 pm

OK - so I took the time to actually use the ITV player and catch up on this national tv coverage of advanced driving! What an annoying thing the ITV 'player' is...forced adverts so you can't skip through...
http://www.itv.com/hub/the-x-factor/1a8647a0220
24 minutes in.

Yes quite mocking but they did cutaway and actually showed the contestant (Rachel) in-car doing some commentary driving and her description of what advanced driving is, wasn't bad.

I think it's fair to say she probably reinforced the stereotype of being a bit of a nerd (yep hands up to that one)..but hey...all publicity is good...perhaps?

It gets worse/better:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/most-boring-x-factor-contestant-8724415

And then I came across this (google is a wonderful thing) and all becomes clear...
http://careers.bmj.com/careers/advice/view-article.html?id=1758
Last edited by martine on Tue Sep 06, 2016 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Martin - Bristol Advanced Motorists: IMI National Observer, Group Secretary, Masters (dist), DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)

martine

Postby martine » Tue Sep 06, 2016 5:42 pm

I've sent Rachel an email with a link to here...she might be curious about this forum...
Martin - Bristol Advanced Motorists: IMI National Observer, Group Secretary, Masters (dist), DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)

WhoseGeneration

Postby WhoseGeneration » Tue Sep 06, 2016 7:50 pm

The irony, those judges will have often been driven by chauffeurs using AD principles. Perhaps sometimes by drivers with further training in, let's say, anti kidnap methods.

akirk

Postby akirk » Tue Sep 06, 2016 8:22 pm

that is a well written article for the BMJ...
but the explanation on TV wasn't very good - I suspect that she maybe hasn't been put in that position before to realise that actually the judges aren't really interested! So short sweet and humorous is best :)

Alasdair

waremark

Postby waremark » Tue Sep 06, 2016 11:05 pm

Agreed, sure she would have done better if she had been prepared. Wonder what her involvement in AD is.

X Factor Nerd

Postby X Factor Nerd » Wed Sep 07, 2016 11:25 am

Hi, everyone - thank you for alerting me to this. Selective editing is a wonderful thing - they made it look as if I was delivering a long and boring monologue without showing the stupid questions in between. It could have been a lot worse - in one interview, they asked what was my favourite road sign and, if I had to design one, what would it be. Simon Cowell had also asked me what to do about cows on the road. Luckily, they didn't show any of that.

I passed my IAM test 20 years ago and I am currently a member of the Leicester group (although I have belonged to a fair few others as well). I have been an observer in the past. I took RoSPA in 2000 but only got a bronze and never bothered renewing it. I give talks to groups and write for their newsletters.

Rachel

akirk

Postby akirk » Wed Sep 07, 2016 11:58 am

Hi Rachel,

welcome

love the choice of name :) it is a shame how it came across - as I said above, the BMJ article was very well put together, it is a shame that TV thinks more about ratings than respecting people having a serious belief / ideals / etc.

I assume that the answer to cows on the road is BBQ?! :)

Alasdair

Return to “Advanced Driving - Cars”