Next step

Topics relating to Advanced Driving in cars
WhoseGeneration

Re: Next step

Postby WhoseGeneration » Thu Sep 01, 2016 7:04 pm

Smeeagain wrote:Interesting thanks. My speciality seems to be smooth braking. Passengers often comment as did both my instructor and examiner. I got 130,000 miles out of my last set of front discs and 70,000 out of the pads :D

Firstly, congratulations on the Silver, although I suspect that, from your pre test posts, you're a touch miffed it wasn't a Gold.
I do "smooth braking" and have been pulled up on it. It's not exactly Roadcraft when such as Playtent follow that book.

superplum

Postby superplum » Thu Sep 01, 2016 7:07 pm

jont- wrote:
Smeeagain wrote:So I've managed to locate a copy on t'interweb of the 'blue' Roadcraft book that folk refer to but I also found this which should be an entertaining read .......http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ROADCRAFT-THE ... 1886019381

I bought that edition recently while on holiday (2nd hand bookshop) - haven't had time to read it yet though :lol:

i bought that edition (new) many, many years ago. I remember that it came with some pages of amendments that needed to be cut out and inserted/pasted to cover blocks of original text.

Smeeagain

Postby Smeeagain » Thu Sep 01, 2016 9:11 pm

WhoseGeneration wrote:
Smeeagain wrote:Interesting thanks. My speciality seems to be smooth braking. Passengers often comment as did both my instructor and examiner. I got 130,000 miles out of my last set of front discs and 70,000 out of the pads :D

Firstly, congratulations on the Silver, although I suspect that, from your pre test posts, you're a touch miffed it wasn't a Gold.
I do "smooth braking" and have been pulled up on it. It's not exactly Roadcraft when such as Playtent follow that book.

No not miffed at all. The pre-tests posts related to the perceived prejudice of another examiner. I was happy with the way the examiber on the day cobducted the test and his explanations (albeit I either didbt get sone if his explabations or didbt agree eg not having to ever indicate to retrun to lane 1 of motorway from lane 2 having just conducted an overtake), but I was happy with his rationale for the award of silver, and based on my performance on the day, I knew tgat, regardless of who the examiber was, I wasnt going to ve awarded a gold. I was happy to pass, happy that silver was a fair award and naturally disappointed with nyself fir the mistakes I made. But no miffness or mifficatuon.

EasyShifter

Postby EasyShifter » Fri Sep 02, 2016 9:53 am

Smeeagain wrote:
WhoseGeneration wrote:

No not miffed at all. The pre-tests posts related to the perceived prejudice of another examiner. I was happy with the way the examiber on the day cobducted the test and his explanations (albeit I either didbt get sone if his explabations or didbt agree eg not having to ever indicate to retrun to lane 1 of motorway from lane 2 having just conducted an overtake), but I was happy with his rationale for the award of silver, and based on my performance on the day, I knew tgat, regardless of who the examiber was, I wasnt going to ve awarded a gold. I was happy to pass, happy that silver was a fair award and naturally disappointed with nyself fir the mistakes I made. But no miffness or mifficatuon.

iI know what you mean. I did RoSPA recently, having been a 'gold' member in the past. It was part of my ongoing programme to address a feared decline in my standard - get back to RoSPA gold as a stepping stone to IAM masters. I too came out of the test with a silver but my only disappointment was in my own driving - I'd lost the gold over a couple of minor speed errors that spoilt an otherwise good drive. The examiner said, 'Don't wait too long - do a bit more practice and take a retest to go for gold.' I knew I'd thrown it away in a few moments of carelessness and had actually ended the drive hoping NOT to get gold as that would have devalued it. I'm going straight for Masters now.
Michael

Smeeagain

Postby Smeeagain » Fri Sep 02, 2016 1:52 pm

Interesting, thanks. Yes I was told to retest after short to while to go for gold. I had assumed I would be nowhere near Masters but you think gold RoSPA would get me in the running for Masters?

EasyShifter

Postby EasyShifter » Fri Sep 02, 2016 2:21 pm

I was thinking in a similar way - but I mentioned to the RoSPA examiner what my plans had been and he said he thought Masters was an achievable goal, so I went out for a 'taster' with someone else who's already done it and not only got his opinion but watched him do a demo. The IAM's Masters standards document says that they're looking for a 'lively and spirited drive' with 'sparkle' - 'something that is a pleasure to sit beside or follow as opposed to merely very competent' - so what I need to do now is first of all to get consistency - stop those niggling little occasional errors from bringing the score down - and add the 'sparkle' to the drive. I'm enjoying it! I'll be reporting my progress as I go along in 'Master's Diary' that I began a couple of weeks back in the IAM section of the forum, in the hope that it might be of help to others.
Michael

EasyShifter

Postby EasyShifter » Fri Sep 02, 2016 2:46 pm

I'll still be going for RoSPA gold again though - I'll apply for a retest to take place a few weeks before the Masters to give me another test experience in preparation.
Michael

jont-

Postby jont- » Fri Sep 02, 2016 2:51 pm

If you post your locations in the members section and you might find some other members local who have already done Masters (or Rospa) gold who are happy to go for a drive with you.

Smeeagain

Postby Smeeagain » Mon Sep 05, 2016 3:49 pm

Ok thank you

Bumblebee16

Postby Bumblebee16 » Wed Sep 07, 2016 8:41 pm

Congratulations on achieving your RoSPA silver.

Return to “Advanced Driving - Cars”