Next step

Topics relating to Advanced Driving in cars
devonutopia

Re: Next step

Postby devonutopia » Thu Sep 01, 2016 12:51 pm

Are you a member of a local group? It was purely experience from group members (diploma, gold, HPC) sitting alongside me that got me to my test, and then a few one on one lessons with a local gold holder.

IcedKiwi

Postby IcedKiwi » Thu Sep 01, 2016 1:11 pm

Would definitely recommend trying to drive with as many other advanced drivers as possible, from both the driving and passenger seat. It really helped improve my driving having other peoples opinions and seeing how they drove. Nobody drives the same or has the same ideas, so you can take things you like and try to incorporate them into your driving, or if you don't like then then just leave it.

I read all the books, had the theory and thought I was doing it all right, but it wasn't until I sat with some people with a lot more experience than me that I realised how different my application of the theory had been and how much further there was to progress

Horse

Postby Horse » Thu Sep 01, 2016 1:18 pm

Smeeagain wrote:So I've managed to locate a copy on t'interweb of the 'blue' Roadcraft book that folk refer to but I also found this which should be an entertaining read .......http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ROADCRAFT-THE ... 1886019381

The old versions are very interesting to see how things have developed and changed.

I have a couple of books in my collection . . .

Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

Horse

Postby Horse » Thu Sep 01, 2016 1:37 pm

akirk

Postby akirk » Thu Sep 01, 2016 2:30 pm

there is also a danger in the books that the skills become too firmly in the conscious and too stilted - the best drivers have a fluidity about them which makes it different to anyone else, and difficult to break down into specific skills and the ways in which they are tackling them...

would agree with others who say that there comes a point when you simply need to go out with others - both of you driving...

Alasdair

Smeeagain

Postby Smeeagain » Thu Sep 01, 2016 2:36 pm

Yep that makes sense. After 34 yesrs if doing it 'my way', im more curious to read more about the topics and absorb, but not necessarily act upon, the information.

Horse

Postby Horse » Thu Sep 01, 2016 3:16 pm

IMHO, avoid learning 'the way', try instead to find what works for you, try to find the underpinning reasons for doing something rather than just following rules. If someone tells you that 'you should' ask 'why?' I've had this with bike trainees and it has helped my training. If I couldn't justify straight away then I'd find out - sometimes having to re-think. Also, mentally challenge yourself, retrospective (honest) review is extremely beneficial.

I like mental prompts/checklists. Often they'll coincide with 'the way' - but that'll be because 'the way' is worked from first principles :)

Also, I find it's useful to have a 'target', in my case I'll work for smoothness. I take it as a compliment when passengers fall asleep. Sometimes I've felt the odd one out, with three others in the car asleep, so shut my eyes and have a nap too. After all, they'll never know ;)

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Thu Sep 01, 2016 3:42 pm

Drive/ride as many different vehicles (especially engine configurations) as you can and with as many good/quality/advanced individuals as possible. Many of the dogmas come from people who've ridden/driven the same brand/style of machine for years and years. Flat twins anyone? :twisted:
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

Smeeagain

Postby Smeeagain » Thu Sep 01, 2016 5:11 pm

Horse wrote:IMHO, avoid learning 'the way', try instead to find what works for you, try to find the underpinning reasons for doing something rather than just following rules. If someone tells you that 'you should' ask 'why?' I've had this with bike trainees and it has helped my training. If I couldn't justify straight away then I'd find out - sometimes having to re-think. Also, mentally challenge yourself, retrospective (honest) review is extremely beneficial.

I like mental prompts/checklists. Often they'll coincide with 'the way' - but that'll be because 'the way' is worked from first principles :)

Also, I find it's useful to have a 'target', in my case I'll work for smoothness. I take it as a compliment when passengers fall asleep. Sometimes I've felt the odd one out, with three others in the car asleep, so shut my eyes and have a nap too. After all, they'll never know ;)

Interesting thanks. My speciality seems to be smooth braking. Passengers often comment as did both my instructor and examiner. I got 130,000 miles out of my last set of front discs and 70,000 out of the pads :D

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Thu Sep 01, 2016 7:02 pm

Crikey! And I thought I had done well nearly doubling the predicted replacement interval of 25K on my last car (Civic). I take it that yours wasn't a modern car with discs made of tinfoil and nearly out of tolerance from new?

Are you sure you are using the accelerator? ;) :D
Last edited by GTR1400MAN on Thu Sep 01, 2016 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

Return to “Advanced Driving - Cars”