Next step

Topics relating to Advanced Driving in cars
Smeeagain

Next step

Postby Smeeagain » Wed Aug 31, 2016 2:31 pm

Ok so RoSPA silver is in the bag and now the journey starts. Re-test planned pre Christmas for a Gold (lots of reasons)
Aside of Highway Code, Know your Signs and Roadcraft, are there any other driving books, magazines, websites, you'd recommend?

Smeeagain

Re: Next step

Postby Smeeagain » Wed Aug 31, 2016 9:15 pm

No takers ?

Silk

Postby Silk » Wed Aug 31, 2016 9:23 pm

Smeeagain wrote:No takers ?

How about Mind Driving?

ChristianAB

Postby ChristianAB » Wed Aug 31, 2016 9:52 pm

To get rospa gold? not really, apart from maybe the old version of 'roadcraft' available on amazon.
Yes, there are other books, but they may induce you into applying a 'slightly' different technique than the one advocated by roadcraft, which could be more, not less, detrimental to obtaining the gold standard that you seek.

Smeeagain

Postby Smeeagain » Thu Sep 01, 2016 6:54 am

No not to get gold. Sorry for ambiguity. Just more books on driving. Take the point about them being potentially detrimental so will read them after the point if/when I get the gold pass.

Smeeagain

Postby Smeeagain » Thu Sep 01, 2016 9:07 am

ChristianAB wrote:To get rospa gold? not really, apart from maybe the old version of 'roadcraft' available on amazon.
Yes, there are other books, but they may induce you into applying a 'slightly' different technique than the one advocated by roadcraft, which could be more, not less, detrimental to obtaining the gold standard that you seek.

Aha, now you've triggered a thought, that in my newbie naivety I hadn't considered ........ so there are different types of driving 'standard's'

At the risk of opening a huge posting can of worms can anyone succinctly outline the difference between RoSPA and non-RoSPA driving standards ......? Or shouldn't I ask :lol: ?

Smee

superplum

Postby superplum » Thu Sep 01, 2016 10:36 am

Smeeagain wrote:No takers ?

You don't need any new books. Just practice and polish your "weak" points. Gold is not hard, you need consistency. Have another read of the test guidelines that you can download.

akirk

Postby akirk » Thu Sep 01, 2016 10:56 am

Smeeagain wrote:
ChristianAB wrote:To get rospa gold? not really, apart from maybe the old version of 'roadcraft' available on amazon.

Aha, now you've triggered a thought, that in my newbie naivety I hadn't considered ........ so there are different types of driving 'standard's'

At the risk of opening a huge posting can of worms can anyone succinctly outline the difference between RoSPA and non-RoSPA driving standards ......? Or shouldn't I ask :lol: ?

Smee

no can of worms, and all the information is out there if you look...

IAM in particular due to its size & RoSPA as well - both have a challenge in maintaining an even / equal approach across all observers / examiners / etc. This by its nature leads to codifying how to do AD, and that means that they have to pick an approach... in reality (as can be seen by reading posts on here) there can be a number of ways of doing something but picking one approach helps in delivering a consistency across courses / tests etc.

An obvious example of this is steering, the IAM has traditionally been very pull-push though that is now changing... others (including a number on here) will be proponents of outcome rather than input - i.e. it doesn't matter how you steer if it gives you the result you want (accurate / safe / with contingency) and therefore will discuss fixed position / etc. as well... However if you are within the IAM / RoSPA then it does make sense to understand how they are going to test you and be happy to drive in that way - it won't necessarily be more / less safe than another advanced way of driving, but something has to be chosen...

A result of this of course is that there are those who decry the IAM / RoSPA way of doing things and prefer to look at the driver having a toolbox of approaches and the ability to select as necessary while driving - some of those folks might in fact then offer their own training - so there are a number of training 'companies' out there - however many are simply one bod with a car and their own view of how to drive - equally they might spend a lot of time behind the wheel and therefore have a dreadful website / not be on the internet! Others are great on the internet so you will find them but might be good or bad behind the wheel! A number of these folks will be handling skills trainers (think skid pad to track type work), some will be road biased.

Generally though the two predominantly recognised 'qualifications' or certificates are IAM / RoSPA

Alasdair

Smeeagain

Postby Smeeagain » Thu Sep 01, 2016 12:40 pm

So I've managed to locate a copy on t'interweb of the 'blue' Roadcraft book that folk refer to but I also found this which should be an entertaining read .......http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ROADCRAFT-THE ... 1886019381

jont-

Postby jont- » Thu Sep 01, 2016 12:42 pm

Smeeagain wrote:So I've managed to locate a copy on t'interweb of the 'blue' Roadcraft book that folk refer to but I also found this which should be an entertaining read .......http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ROADCRAFT-THE ... 1886019381

I bought that edition recently while on holiday (2nd hand bookshop) - haven't had time to read it yet though :lol:

Return to “Advanced Driving - Cars”