How many advanced drivers are there?

Topics relating to Advanced Driving in cars
Smeeagain

How many advanced drivers are there?

Postby Smeeagain » Sun Aug 28, 2016 9:29 pm

Does any know, before I pose the question to IAM and ROSPA, how many advanced driver test passes there are in this country, either annually or ever? I'm just curious to understand what percentage of the total driving population have taken their driving to the next level.

Obviously it's a relatively small number but just wondering what that number was, or if in fact it is available?

Smee

waremark

Re: How many advanced drivers are there?

Postby waremark » Sun Aug 28, 2016 10:09 pm

I am sure it is published, and someone will be along with more specific figures. However, in very approximate terms, 400k people have taken the IAMRoadsmart advanced driving test since it was introduced in the 50's, there are currently slightly fewer than 100k paid up members, and IIRC (but I am not very confident about any of my figures!) there are about 10k tests per year. Rospa numbers are very much smaller. I once heard it suggested that about 1% of all licensed drivers in the UK have had any form of post test training - this would include all the fleet drivers who have had training in connection with their employment.

Horse

Postby Horse » Mon Aug 29, 2016 11:00 am

No idea what the numbers are these days, but it used to be that there was a higher proportion of the motorcyclists population than drivers taking the IAM test.
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

martine

Postby martine » Mon Aug 29, 2016 11:47 am

Yes around 400K IAM passes ever and 90k current members. I believe ROSPA has around 10k current members. Of course other advanced training is available but I suspect they are a tiny proportion and many of those will also have IAM/ROSPA qualification (like HPC).

Oh and around 7k IAM advanced tests annually.

Depressingly there are around 32 million UK licence holders :roll:
Martin - Bristol Advanced Motorists: IMI National Observer, Group Secretary, Masters (dist), DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)

devonutopia

Postby devonutopia » Wed Aug 31, 2016 8:31 pm

martine wrote:
Depressingly there are around 32 million UK licence holders :roll:

Who should be trained up to an acceptable standard yet daily this seems to not be the case if examples I see are anything to go on :gear:

Return to “Advanced Driving - Cars”