Speed differentials

Topics relating to Advanced Driving in cars
akirk

Re: Speed differentials

Postby akirk » Mon Oct 05, 2015 4:37 pm

using cruise control is (I think!) a good exercise in driving - in order to stay at a constant speed on a motorway - assuming it is not too busy - requires you to really plan ahead and maintain a bubble of space around you - it means you have to think / plan / maintain constant speed.

however, don't allow it to be the dominant focus in case you then crash!

Alasdair

TheInsanity1234

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Mon Oct 05, 2015 5:14 pm

akirk wrote:using cruise control is (I think!) a good exercise in driving - in order to stay at a constant speed on a motorway - assuming it is not too busy - requires you to really plan ahead and maintain a bubble of space around you - it means you have to think / plan / maintain constant speed.

however, don't allow it to be the dominant focus in case you then crash!

Alasdair

I do enjoy using it when it's not too busy, for the reasons you describe. It really exercises your planning and observation skills, but in busier traffic, it's a lot easier and more relaxing to just go with the flow.

Strangely Brown

Postby Strangely Brown » Mon Oct 05, 2015 5:35 pm

I have never driven a Yeti but I cannot imagine that the Cruise Control is that much different from others.

Did you know that you can adjust your speed to suit the traffic conditions without coming off Cruise? Typically, a single press/click on the +/- buttons will increase or decrease speed in 1mph increments. This makes matching the traffic flow a lot easier.

As general rule, though, I tend to only use cruise when traffic is really light. Once the density increases, I find cruise control takes far more effort than driving normally.

Horse

Postby Horse » Mon Oct 05, 2015 7:17 pm

Mine is 3 clicks = 1mph

Ot that I use it that often. . .
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

devonutopia

Postby devonutopia » Mon Oct 05, 2015 8:24 pm

I am very happy to break a speed limit to achieve a safe(r) manouvere, in any scenario on an out of town road. :) Although there are degrees of speed limit breaking when perhaps the need to overtake wasn't pressing, but that's for another discussion maybe.

Whilst my car has cruise, I don't often use it. Mainly because the car is actually worse on fuel than with me driving, but also I do get a niggle that I am perhaps less in control of the immediate action to get off the throttle - even though stamping on brake will disengage it right away. Just in my head I suspect.

Saying that I have happily driven 100+ miles on cruise, just using the +/- buttons in good time.

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Mon Oct 05, 2015 8:41 pm

Here is the video about truck blind spots I mentioned earlier in the thread.

Nick

TheInsanity1234

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:05 pm

Strangely Brown wrote:I have never driven a Yeti but I cannot imagine that the Cruise Control is that much different from others.

Did you know that you can adjust your speed to suit the traffic conditions without coming off Cruise? Typically, a single press/click on the +/- buttons will increase or decrease speed in 1mph increments. This makes matching the traffic flow a lot easier.

As general rule, though, I tend to only use cruise when traffic is really light. Once the density increases, I find cruise control takes far more effort than driving normally.

No, I didn't. I shall have to test that soon.

But again, I'd rather use my foot in dense traffic because it means I can do smoother adjustments, and indeed, change gear if necessary, whereas with cruise on, I'd be tempted to ignore the gearbox and just try to do all my accelerating in 5th lol.

Pyrolol

Postby Pyrolol » Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:48 pm

I've always felt it was a shame that none of the cruise control equipped cars I've driven were programmed to manage the throttle smoothly. The only solution was to first balance the throttle yourself before disengaging, which seems a bit sad.

(I've never owned a car with cruise control, and always been slightly jealous!)

Strangely Brown

Postby Strangely Brown » Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:56 pm

TheInsanity1234 wrote:... I'd rather use my foot in dense traffic because it means I can do smoother adjustments, and indeed, change gear if necessary, whereas with cruise on, I'd be tempted to ignore the gearbox and just try to do all my accelerating in 5th lol.

If you're in a situation where you need to change gear then I suspect that Cruise might not be appropriate anyway. Similarly, if traffic conditions are really suitable for cruise then changing gear is almost certainly not going to be necessary.

Not sure about your car, but mine will disengage cruise with any movement of the clutch pedal - just a touch is enough, no need to push it out. It's actually a nice way to disengage cruise without having to show brake lights.

akirk

Postby akirk » Mon Oct 05, 2015 11:05 pm

Depends on the car - my kuga turned cruise off on a gear change, the octavia doesn't
Alasdair

Return to “Advanced Driving - Cars”