Speed differentials

Topics relating to Advanced Driving in cars
waremark

Re: Speed differentials

Postby waremark » Mon Oct 05, 2015 11:25 pm

TheInsanity1234 wrote:I was thinking to the last time I drove on the M4, (yesterday afternoon, between J13 and J14) and realised I somehow managed to achieve speeds of about 85 (90 indicated) without caring too much...

Bad omen?

Any points for a new driver could be expensive. Six points, meaning back to square 1, would be disastrous. It's not worth risking.

true blue

Postby true blue » Tue Oct 06, 2015 1:37 am

Indeed - much better to commit these little indiscretions abroad, where points are not (yet!) applied to your UK license.

I avoid the M4 wherever possible. In the past though I've found that it has the highest average cruising pace I've seen for cars, even during busy periods. Driving along at 80ish I wasn't overtaking much apart from HGVs.

jont-

Postby jont- » Tue Oct 06, 2015 4:43 am

true blue wrote:Indeed - much better to commit these little indiscretions abroad, where points are not (yet!) applied to your UK license.

Not so sure about that. Even if they can't touch your license for points, the fines can be large, and they will confiscate your car if you can't pay.

StressedDave

Postby StressedDave » Tue Oct 06, 2015 8:45 am

Or indeed suspend your licence on the spot and then confiscate the car if there's no one available to drive it thereafter. A friend of mine had this issue whilst driving a McLaren 650S this year.
All posts are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License. Do what you like with it, just don't make money off it.

Revian

Postby Revian » Tue Oct 06, 2015 12:31 pm

Would it be too off-topic to mention speed differentials? :D

If overtaking to make progress, because of traffic conditions or the speed limit, would result in small differential (for argument as that seems often on-topic ;) ) maybe 2/3mph only should one simply forgo it and stay back?

Ian
Ian

StressedDave

Postby StressedDave » Tue Oct 06, 2015 12:35 pm

A friend once suggested that there were two sorts of overtake - one where you will be able to make significant progress and those for ego's sake, where you overtake just because you can.

I'd suggest in your description above that the ego would be to the fore...
All posts are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License. Do what you like with it, just don't make money off it.

Revian

Postby Revian » Tue Oct 06, 2015 12:41 pm

I'd agree with that.... Somewhere in my head I have (probably falsely) that on AD test and making progress one should utilise even small differentials. I can't see the point really. It would be different if I had a blue light on top....

It seems to me that patience when driving is a virtue.
Ian

waremark

Postby waremark » Tue Oct 06, 2015 1:41 pm

StressedDave wrote:Or indeed suspend your licence on the spot and then confiscate the car if there's no one available to drive it thereafter. A friend of mine had this issue whilst driving a McLaren 650S this year.

Sorry to be pedantic, but I rather think there had been a car swap, and he was driving the F12 of another mutual friend. It cost him 750 euros and the suspension of his right to drive in France for a while, for a brief burst of safe speed away from a toll booth on an autoroute. HIs wife drove the F12 for the next few hours. I take an interest in these things having myself had to part with 750 euros to at a gendarmerie a few years ago - in my case, as in this, for just more than 50 kph over a French national speed limit. In this country we would probably have experienced bans, with in consequence large increases in insurance costs subsequently.

waremark

Postby waremark » Tue Oct 06, 2015 1:44 pm

Revian wrote:I'd agree with that.... Somewhere in my head I have (probably falsely) that on AD test and making progress one should utilise even small differentials. I can't see the point really. It would be different if I had a blue light on top....

It seems to me that patience when driving is a virtue.

Not sure what you mean here. On an AD test (or according to the law at any time) you should not plan an overtake unless you expect to be able to complete it within the speed limit. Since you would not wish to spend a long time alongside another vehicle, this surely means that you should not plan an overtake unless there is an adequate speed differential. What is adequate? That depends!

Revian

Postby Revian » Tue Oct 06, 2015 3:17 pm

I agree....

waremark wrote:What is adequate?

That was really my starting point....

Ian
Ian

Return to “Advanced Driving - Cars”