Speed differentials

Topics relating to Advanced Driving in cars
sussex2

Re: Speed differentials

Postby sussex2 » Fri Oct 02, 2015 7:41 am

I always feel uneasy in a three abreast situation and am generally looking for a way out as soon as I can. I do appreciate however that on some roads at certain times it is not always possible.
I think that mentally I have translated it more into a zone of safety around my vehicle; doing my best to ensure it is rarely compromised.

Strangely Brown

Postby Strangely Brown » Fri Oct 02, 2015 8:22 am

I'm not so worried about three-abreast as I am getting stuck alongside. e.g. If I am passing an HGV then I like to make sure that when I start the pass I have a exit at the other end. I don't commit to going alongside unless I can get through and past in one movement. There is little that makes me feel more uncomfortable than sitting directly alongside something that is quite likely unable to see me.

I try to treat cars the same way and only go alongside if I am confident that I am not going to have to stay there.

As for speed differentials. The closer I have to go, the slower I pass.

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Fri Oct 02, 2015 8:43 am

I had an interesting experience a few months ago when we went HGV driving with my RoADAR group. Contrary to what you might expect, with a modern HGV, as you pass, the driver can see you all the way up to his cab door in the various mirrors (whether they're looking is another matter, of course). Where you DO disappear, is just AFTER you've passed the cab, before you re-appear in his forward vision. They showed us a good video from YouTube but I'm struggling to find it. When I do I'll post a link.

Of course, this is with conventional mirrors. Some trucks will have fancy blind spot cameras, etc. but you still rely on the driver to be monitoring them.
Nick

ChristianAB

Postby ChristianAB » Fri Oct 02, 2015 10:06 am

I know I shouldn't be doing this, but I'm going through your book. Big fan.

TheInsanity1234

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Fri Oct 02, 2015 9:11 pm

Well...

I prefer to overtake with a brisk differential and minimise the amount of time spent alongside another car, so I will speed up a bit when overtaking. Especially if there's a car approaching behind me.

However, sometimes I forget to slow down after performing the overtaking manoeuvre...
So if you've been on the M4 and you saw a silver (which is more brown than silver) Skoda Yeti Greenline travelling at speeds between 85 and 95, that probably was me... Oops.

akirk

Postby akirk » Fri Oct 02, 2015 9:15 pm

TheInsanity1234 wrote:So if you've been on the M4 and you saw a silver (which is more brown than silver) Skoda Yeti Greenline travelling at speeds between 85 and 95, that probably was me... Oops.

if you saw a blue skoda scout / z3 overtaking you... - waves :)

Alasdair

TheInsanity1234

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Fri Oct 02, 2015 9:20 pm

akirk wrote:
TheInsanity1234 wrote:So if you've been on the M4 and you saw a silver (which is more brown than silver) Skoda Yeti Greenline travelling at speeds between 85 and 95, that probably was me... Oops.

if you saw a blue skoda scout / z3 overtaking you... - waves :)

Alasdair

I'm usually seen on the M4 between J14 and J4 (Hungerford junction and the M25 junction).

I was thinking to the last time I drove on the M4, (yesterday afternoon, between J13 and J14) and realised I somehow managed to achieve speeds of about 85 (90 indicated) without caring too much...

Bad omen?

fengpo

Postby fengpo » Sun Oct 04, 2015 7:23 pm

I tend to be flexible on speed to keep me save, like to select the gap I want to move into. If the vehicle I am overtaking wants to speed up to take my space. I'll abort and continue to make progress in lane 2 or lane 3. Providing I am keeping my eyes on main beam and keeping my safety bubble. I tend to not get stressed about other rules.

Last night a few drivers reacted badly to my overtaking of them on a dual carriageway. They all closed up so the space I had to fit my car in, between them all was minimal. So I aborted that idea stayed in lane 2 then went around the roundabout for my exit. Still made the progress I wanted; so happy days.

Horse

Postby Horse » Sun Oct 04, 2015 7:40 pm

TheInsanity1234 wrote:I'm usually seen on the M4 between J14 and J4 (Hungerford junction and the M25 junction).

I was thinking to the last time I drove on the M4, (yesterday afternoon, between J13 and J14) and realised I somehow managed to achieve speeds of about 85 (90 indicated) without caring too much...

There are regular police patrols these days on the M4, after many years when they were noticeable by their rarity. Now using both marked and plain cars.
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

TheInsanity1234

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Mon Oct 05, 2015 4:27 pm

Horse wrote:
TheInsanity1234 wrote:I'm usually seen on the M4 between J14 and J4 (Hungerford junction and the M25 junction).

There are regular police patrols these days on the M4, after many years when they were noticeable by their rarity. Now using both marked and plain cars.

Very often being told about these police patrols... I'll stick to the back roads for my commute :lol:
Generally I use cruise control, but when it gets busy, I prefer to drive using my foot because I can gently adjust my speed to avoid conflicting situations and indeed, getting stuck alongside someone who has set cruise to 0.2 mph slower than I've set mine to.

Return to “Advanced Driving - Cars”