Any ROSPA test tips

Topics relating to Advanced Driving in cars
Smeeagain

Re: Any ROSPA test tips

Postby Smeeagain » Fri Aug 26, 2016 12:37 pm

Horse wrote:
Smeeagain wrote: I then ask them to give the belt a short sharp tug to demonstrate that the inertia reel mechanism is working.

Is that actually how they all work, and only that? Is 'a sharp tug' actually a valid test?

I found this elsewhere:

Modern restraint systems use both webbing sensors and vehicle sensors. The webbing sensors employed earlier were proved to allow too much belt to run out before the occupant was restrained and the vehicle sensor (deceleration and incline sensitive) was introduced. The pre-tensioner was also added to retract any loose spare webbing.

So at what point do you [the person on test] stop testing systems? Why are some considered important enough to test (albeit possibly incorrect, see above) and others not?

- Shouldn't the rolling brake test also encompass the ABS?
- What about stability & traction control?
- If you're testing the seatbelt, perhaps drive into a wall to test the airbags and seatbelt tensioners (and pedal retraction if fitted)? *

* I used to visit US air bases regularly. The visitor pass stated "Vehicle occupant restraints must be used". So did that mean I had to operate the seatbelt tensioners? ;) **

** I was on a motorcycle :lol: ***

*** One of my colleagues was at the end of a long, tiring, day. He was stopped by a [armed] guard and told he should be wearing 'reflective' gear [for safety]. He pointed out that if he wasn't reflecting light then the guard wouldn't have been able to even see him. The guard did not exhibit any humour, indeed became rather shouty. :lol: :lol: :bash: :soap:

I don't disagree, in particular with the comment about ABS, but sometimes we have to comply with the test requirements, rather than common sense or anything else i.e. you can learn how to pass an exam without necessarily knowing the subject intimately. The Roadcraft DVD says that having sdne a static (i.e. tug) test on the seatbelt, you don't need to brake hard enough to induce the inertial reel mechanism, "as you will have satisfied yourself that it works' and let's face it that would be some serious braking! You can brake very hard and smooth and not induce the mechanism to work. I happen to know my vehicle does not have any special seatbelt sensors (or at least as far as I can establish through the manufacturer) and only has the webbing inertia reel mech

Smee

IcedKiwi

Postby IcedKiwi » Fri Aug 26, 2016 3:34 pm

Smeeagain wrote:I happen to know my vehicle does not have any special seatbelt sensors (or at least as far as I can establish through the manufacturer) and only has the webbing inertia reel mech

It's probably got a pretensioner too which uses similar (the same?) sensors as the air bags to detect a collision and tightens the seat belt using a little explosive charge to spin the reel.

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Fri Aug 26, 2016 4:00 pm

... unless it's quite old (more than 15 years or so) ...
Nick

Horse

Postby Horse » Fri Aug 26, 2016 4:26 pm

Smeeagain wrote:
Horse wrote:
Smeeagain wrote: I then ask them to give the belt a short sharp tug to demonstrate that the inertia reel mechanism is working.

So at what point do you [the person on test] stop testing systems? Why are some considered important enough to test?

I don't disagree, in particular with the comment about ABS, but sometimes we have to comply with the test requirements, rather than common sense or anything else

Indeed, it wasn't intended as a pop at you personally.

But does beg the question about the common sense of advanced tests . . .
Last edited by Horse on Fri Aug 26, 2016 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

akirk

Postby akirk » Fri Aug 26, 2016 4:35 pm

I think you are testing the person and their ability to plug a metal tongue into a plastic socket :)

And not always a silly concept - my Z3 (note for anyone here who might drive it) has a driver's seatbelt where you need to make sure it has engaged - old age maybe, but it can appear to be in and then come out... so a quick tug on it to check is a part of my driving routine...

mind you not as bad as the magnetic seatbelt clasps I had in the MG - they were known to undo themselves in an electric storm :D

Alasdair

jont-

Postby jont- » Fri Aug 26, 2016 4:48 pm

I've got 4 point harnesses.... (but at least there's no ABS or other systems to worry about testing :twisted:)

Horse

Postby Horse » Fri Aug 26, 2016 4:59 pm

akirk wrote:I think you are testing the person and their ability to plug a metal tongue into a plastic socket :)

And not always a silly concept - my Z3 (note for anyone here who might drive it) has a driver's seatbelt where you need to make sure it has engaged - old age maybe, but it can appear to be in and then come out... so a quick tug on it to check is a part of my driving routine...

mind you not as bad as the magnetic seatbelt clasps I had in the MG - they were known to undo themselves in an electric storm :D

Alasdair

Some earlier seatbelts had a release button which could be triggered by a flailing limb, mid-crash. 'Sub-optimal' . . .
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

sussex2

Postby sussex2 » Fri Aug 26, 2016 6:30 pm

I've seen a 'gangway sentry' on a Royal Navy ship wearing camouflage and a HiViz vest.
The irony of the situation was lost on the young lady.
I'd never seen an armed sentry despite having sailed a few years before the mast, and the purpose of it still eludes me.

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Fri Aug 26, 2016 7:02 pm

IcedKiwi wrote:
Smeeagain wrote:I happen to know my vehicle does not have any special seatbelt sensors (or at least as far as I can establish through the manufacturer) and only has the webbing inertia reel mech

It's probably got a pretensioner too which uses similar (the same?) sensors as the air bags to detect a collision and tightens the seat belt using a little explosive charge to spin the reel.

My new car not only has pre-tensioners (I thought that''s what the passenger does as I approach the corner! :) ) but also load limiters. These control the loading applied to the chest by varying the tension of the belt after the tensioners fire.
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

Astraist

Postby Astraist » Sat Aug 27, 2016 3:31 pm

These are standard on all contemporary vehicles. What is not standard on all vehicles is the form of the pretensioner, so it can be appearant to the driver or hidden.

They do work in concordence with the airbags. Both are operated by explosives and they are meant to be applied as a one-two punch, with the seatbetls tightening just before the airbag fires, so as to time the body's contact with the airbag to the point where it is fully deployed.

Return to “Advanced Driving - Cars”