Any ROSPA test tips

Topics relating to Advanced Driving in cars
hir

Re: Any ROSPA test tips

Postby hir » Tue Aug 23, 2016 3:01 pm

jont- wrote:If you want to get really arsey about it, I've been told by an ex-police driver you shouldn't belt up until /after/ the engine is running just in case the car catches fire as you turn it on.

Very good advice for TVR owners. :lol: :lol: :lol:

EasyShifter

Postby EasyShifter » Tue Aug 23, 2016 4:04 pm

I think the suggestion of commentary was an excellent one. It's not compulsory but I did it from the start for exactly the reason that it showed the examine my mental processes, my observation and anticipation etc. and made spot checks redundant. Particularly watch for things in the far distance that can show you're really looking ahead - a church steeple above the trees is a good one - 'There's a steeple peeking over the trees ahead so we're approaching housing and probably a change of speed limit'.
Or, 'There's a cluster of agricultural vehicles parked in a field up ahead so there's likely to be a farm entrance' - another one I used to good effect.
The examiner immediately knows that you aren't looking only at the road just ahead.
Michael

Smeeagain

Postby Smeeagain » Tue Aug 23, 2016 4:11 pm

Yes absolutely. I have used 'constant commentary' since day 1 which my instructor liked although he acknowledges it isn't for everyone, but as well as demonstrating the metal process, I find it keeps me really focussed and stops me getting distracted

Smeeagain

Postby Smeeagain » Tue Aug 23, 2016 4:15 pm

Horse wrote:
WhoseGeneration wrote:I was told for my IAM test, a long while ago, to make sure the Examiner had put his seatbelt on before I drove off.
Sure enough, when he got in the car he didn't fit his belt, some words from him and then I was told to start. I asked him to put his belt on before I started the engine.

Did you ask whether he had a medical exemption? ;)

Interesting. As it happens I cover off seatbelt in my cockpit drill. Having done the external of the car I start with left hand side of the interior of the vehicle. I start with passenger seatbelt and ask them to plug it in if they haven't yet done so. I then ask them to give the belt a short sharp tug to demonstrate that the inertia reel mechanism is working. That then becomes the prompt for me to do my seatbelt (although I note the 'after starting comment') and then do the cockpit drill from there

Smee

Silk

Postby Silk » Tue Aug 23, 2016 4:32 pm

Smeeagain wrote:
Horse wrote:
WhoseGeneration wrote:I was told for my IAM test, a long while ago, to make sure the Examiner had put his seatbelt on before I drove off.
Sure enough, when he got in the car he didn't fit his belt, some words from him and then I was told to start. I asked him to put his belt on before I started the engine.

Did you ask whether he had a medical exemption? ;)

Interesting. As it happens I cover off seatbelt in my cockpit drill. Having done the external of the car I start with left hand side of the interior of the vehicle. I start with passenger seatbelt and ask them to plug it in if they haven't yet done so. I then ask them to give the belt a short sharp tug to demonstrate that the inertia reel mechanism is working. That then becomes the prompt for me to do my seatbelt (although I note the 'after starting comment') and then do the cockpit drill from there

I can't be arsed with cockpit drills. Single biggest waste of time IMO. If the passenger isn't happy that my car is in good order and I know how to drive it, they can get the bus home, examiner or otherwise. :evil:

When I take a test, I prepare to take my punishment for poor/lack of cockpit drill and hope the drive itself is enough to mitigate its absence. It means that I have to drive better, so it's a win win. :-)

ratty

Postby ratty » Tue Aug 23, 2016 4:41 pm

Basics for test.

Drive should be safe, legal and reasonably smooth. The vehicle should be positioned to maximise safety and the driver should make good use of the speed limits.

Perhaps extras for the test.

Good cockpit drill (including a moving brake test done properly) and an description / explanation of the vehicle. A good commentary is always a good sign, providing the quality of the drive does not suffer. (After all, it is a driving test not a talking test) Try to include a description of the road, road signs and other road users. Prioritise real hazards over potential hazards and talk about the future and not the past. i.e. I am approaching a junction as opposed to I just passed a junction. Include a 'systematic' description or two about how you are approaching hazards. Do not offer negative opinions of others. Pull /Push steering and rev matching add quality, as does a smooth, efficient use of the controls.

GET THERE ON TIME AND REMEMBER TO TAKE DRIVING DOCUMENTS.

Good luck, I hope you get the result you want.

WhoseGeneration

Postby WhoseGeneration » Tue Aug 23, 2016 6:51 pm

Smeeagain wrote:(although I note the 'after starting comment')
Smee

Really only applicable to the olden days of carbs and even then only ill maintained cars.
These days, I only start a car once all have fastened belts because of airbags.

Silk

Postby Silk » Tue Aug 23, 2016 7:26 pm

ratty wrote:(including a moving brake test done properly)

:facepalm: Oh please. Who can be bothered with that?

fungus

Postby fungus » Tue Aug 23, 2016 7:59 pm

Silk wrote:

My examiner said at the start of the test, " We won't bother with a moving brake test. I can see you've got here in one peice."

Nigel.

akirk

Postby akirk » Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:06 pm

Silk wrote:

Useful when driving a new car, but I wouldn't be worrying on my regular car as I need to brake soon after leaving my drive anyway...

Alasdair

Return to “Advanced Driving - Cars”