Any ROSPA test tips

Topics relating to Advanced Driving in cars
jont-

Re: Any ROSPA test tips

Postby jont- » Mon Aug 22, 2016 7:01 pm

Smeeagain wrote:Many thanks indeed. One respondent mentioned the examiner's preferences. Apparently one of his favourites is to ask 'what was the last road sign that we passed' .........that's not something you can really test yourself on as you will look at every sign and you can't catch yourself out as such i.e. you can't really go back and check every sign.

I've never really understood the value of that particular "test" other that some smugness for the tester. And I remember being told by one coach (in my case with respect to braking for "slow" signs) - brake for the hazard, not the sign.

If you're particularly concerned about that, giving a commentary at least for a few minutes generally forestalls many of their questions (when you've covered road signs, road markings, stopping distances and various speed limits it doesn't leave them too many more things to ask you)

If you're dealing with hazards appropriately, does it matter whether you've consciously observed the sign? It might be you've already dealt with it in the subconscious. And that links to Strangely Brown's comment above - if you start over-thinking what you're doing too much, you can end up conscious of every tiny little thing. Sometimes having a chat with the examiner while you leave your subconscious to get on with your natural drive can result in a better experience.

My experience is that the examiners are mostly not looking to catch you out. They want you to get gold. It's up to you not to let yourself down on the day and give them reasons not to. And observers in the groups tend to be more dogmatic and have stronger foibles than the examiners :lol:

gannet

Postby gannet » Mon Aug 22, 2016 7:53 pm

I too never understand asking what the last sign was, and it's one question I can still never answer.... Because well it's in the past and therefore not in my processing of what's upcoming!

In my own test the examiner asked that same question which I couldn't answer, then he promptly said I know you saw it because you reacted to it... Why ask then?!

IcedKiwi

Postby IcedKiwi » Mon Aug 22, 2016 8:22 pm

gannet wrote:In my own test the examiner asked that same question which I couldn't answer

Centre lane/hazard warning line along with a wry smile is a good one if you're stuck

hir

Postby hir » Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:51 pm

gannet wrote:I too never understand asking what the last sign was, and it's one question I can still never answer.... Because well it's in the past and therefore not in my processing of what's upcoming!

Not too sure I follow that line of thought.

For example, if I see a warning sign ahead for "Road Narrows", that knowledge will be... "in my processing of what's upcoming". The sign gives me advance warning of a hazard that I probably may not yet be able to see. Therefore I'll be looking for where the road narrows; the warning will be a conscious aspect of my "processing of what's upcoming" and therefore a significant part of my planning. And, if that is how I've dealt with the warning then, yes, I'll remember what the sign was. If I missed the sign and didn't incorporate the information into my driving plan then, no, I won't remember what the sign was.

The answer given to the question... "what was the last warning sign that we passed?" will give an indication of whether or not the driver has reacted to the signage and incorporated its message into his driving plan. The skill in asking the question rests in choosing an appropriate warning sign, (one which will give the driver information that would otherwise not be available on the approach to the hazard), and in asking the question timeously, ie. immediately the sign has been passed, not whilst the driver is in the middle of the hazard that was warned about.

Gareth

Postby Gareth » Tue Aug 23, 2016 9:13 am

hir wrote:For example, if I see a warning sign ahead for "Road Narrows", that knowledge will be... "in my processing of what's upcoming". The sign gives me advance warning of a hazard that I probably may not yet be able to see. Therefore I'll be looking for where the road narrows

By the time the question has been asked you most likely be dealing with a narrowing road, so what you're doing will be uppermost in your mind rather than the discarded memory of the road-sign.
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Tue Aug 23, 2016 9:21 am

Any tutor or examiner knows when an associate has missed a sign. The question usually refers to a sign the associate obviously didn't see. Smugness maybe, or just confirmation of a missing facet of the associate's observation skills, more likely.

On my first re-test the examiner asked me what the speed limit was on a particular section. Again, it was obvious that this was because I'd not reacted to a change. I acknowledged the omission, worked out that we had moved from 30 to NSL, and got on with things.

Just here. It was in July(?) and the foliage was quite well grown, and as you will see, there's only one sign where there should be two. Hey ho.
Nick

WhoseGeneration

Postby WhoseGeneration » Tue Aug 23, 2016 11:05 am

I was told for my IAM test, a long while ago, to make sure the Examiner had put his seatbelt on before I drove off.
Sure enough, when he got in the car he didn't fit his belt, some words from him and then I was told to start. I asked him to put his belt on before I started the engine.

gannet

Postby gannet » Tue Aug 23, 2016 11:09 am

hir wrote:
gannet wrote:I too never understand asking what the last sign was, and it's one question I can still never answer.... Because well it's in the past and therefore not in my processing of what's upcoming!

Not too sure I follow that line of thought.

For example, if I see a warning sign ahead for "Road Narrows", that knowledge will be... "in my processing of what's upcoming". The sign gives me advance warning of a hazard that I probably may not yet be able to see. Therefore I'll be looking for where the road narrows; the warning will be a conscious aspect of my "processing of what's upcoming" and therefore a significant part of my planning. And, if that is how I've dealt with the warning then, yes, I'll remember what the sign was. If I missed the sign and didn't incorporate the information into my driving plan then, no, I won't remember what the sign was.

The answer given to the question... "what was the last warning sign that we passed?" will give an indication of whether or not the driver has reacted to the signage and incorporated its message into his driving plan. The skill in asking the question rests in choosing an appropriate warning sign, (one which will give the driver information that would otherwise not be available on the approach to the hazard), and in asking the question timeously, ie. immediately the sign has been passed, not whilst the driver is in the middle of the hazard that was warned about.

Point taken and in that scenario I would like to think I would have been able to answer it, though it might be an educated guess based on the fact that I've spotted the road narrowing...

In my case of IAM test it was a school sign and the question was asked way after I had passed the school and having slowed accordingly...

Didn't stop me passing the test though :D

Horse

Postby Horse » Tue Aug 23, 2016 11:13 am

WhoseGeneration wrote:I was told for my IAM test, a long while ago, to make sure the Examiner had put his seatbelt on before I drove off.
Sure enough, when he got in the car he didn't fit his belt, some words from him and then I was told to start. I asked him to put his belt on before I started the engine.

Did you ask whether he had a medical exemption? ;)
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

jont-

Postby jont- » Tue Aug 23, 2016 11:35 am

Horse wrote:
WhoseGeneration wrote:I was told for my IAM test, a long while ago, to make sure the Examiner had put his seatbelt on before I drove off.

Did you ask whether he had a medical exemption? ;)

If he's over 14[?], isn't it his own responsibility anyway?

If you want to get really arsey about it, I've been told by an ex-police driver you shouldn't belt up until /after/ the engine is running just in case the car catches fire as you turn it on.

Return to “Advanced Driving - Cars”