Any ROSPA test tips

Topics relating to Advanced Driving in cars
Silk

Re: Any ROSPA test tips

Postby Silk » Sat Aug 27, 2016 9:25 pm

ratty wrote:
Silk wrote:
ratty wrote:(including a moving brake test done properly)

:facepalm: Oh please. Who can be bothered with that?

Well, the last time I looked in the examiner's manual that was mentioned and failure to do one is a negative thing not a positive thing.

If you can't be bothered with doing what is expected, why turn up in the first place? If you don't like the rules of the game, play a different game.

For what it's worth, I did do a MBT on the last test I took. The examiner commented on it because it's so rare for anyone to do it these days.

The point I'm trying to make is, in the grand scheme of road safety, there are far more important things for us to worry about. Apart from the occasions where it's unavoidable or I'm trying to impress an examiner, I NEVER do a MBT. It's completely pointless in a modern, well-maintained car. It's just as likely, if not more so, that the brakes will suddenly fail at the end of a long motorway journey than when the car is in the garage overnight. All this anal stuff belongs where it originated - in a police garage. It's the sort of thing that puts people off AD.

I know there are some of you who have a whole garage full of classic cars that get driven once a year. I get that it may be a good idea to make sure the brakes work. For most people, it simply doesn't apply. In a modern car, you'll get a warning light well before you notice anything through the brake pedal.

superplum

Postby superplum » Sat Aug 27, 2016 9:34 pm

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner wrote:... unless it's quite old (more than 15 years or so) ...

I'm pretty sure my first Volvo (1981 - 244) had mechanical pre-tensioners incorporated into the front seat buckles and mounts.
:geek:

martine

Postby martine » Sat Aug 27, 2016 10:42 pm

Silk wrote:For what it's worth, I did do a MBT on the last test I took. The examiner commented on it because it's so rare for anyone to do it these days.

The point I'm trying to make is, in the grand scheme of road safety, there are far more important things for us to worry about. Apart from the occasions where it's unavoidable or I'm trying to impress an examiner, I NEVER do a MBT. It's completely pointless in a modern, well-maintained car. It's just as likely, if not more so, that the brakes will suddenly fail at the end of a long motorway journey than when the car is in the garage overnight. All this anal stuff belongs where it originated - in a police garage. It's the sort of thing that puts people off AD.

I know there are some of you who have a whole garage full of classic cars that get driven once a year. I get that it may be a good idea to make sure the brakes work. For most people, it simply doesn't apply. In a modern car, you'll get a warning light well before you notice anything through the brake pedal.

I actually agree with Silk on this. :shock: :lol:
Martin - Bristol Advanced Motorists: IMI National Observer, Group Secretary, Masters (dist), DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)

waremark

Postby waremark » Sat Aug 27, 2016 10:54 pm

When you get into a different car from the one you drove last, it can be useful to accustom yourself to the feel of the brakes. I think more in terms of trying out the feel of the brakes than of testing them, and I do it in an unfamiliar car - perhaps multiple times. It may take the form of just being cautious and aware when applying the brakes for the first couple of times. At the start of advanced tests, I tend to comment that I am not doing a MBT because I drove the car here and am familiar with the feel of the brakes. I have never yet been asked to do a MBT, nor do I believe I have been marked down for not doing one. Once in my driving experience, before the days of all round disks, I drove off on a mountain road without any form of test, and the first time I braked got rather a shock when the pedal sank towards the floor. Nowadays, I do always at least check for firm pedal pressure as I start the car.

Astraist

Postby Astraist » Sun Aug 28, 2016 5:12 am

waremark wrote:When you get into a different car from the one you drove last, it can be useful to accustom yourself to the feel of the brakes. I think more in terms of trying out the feel of the brakes than of testing them[...]It may take the form of just being cautious and aware when applying the brakes for the first couple of times.[...]Nowadays, I do always at least check for firm pedal pressure as I start the car.

I do that to, but it's wholly different to what others here describe as as a moving brake test. Performing a static one to ensure the thing works while one waits for the revs to stabilize is a good idea. Once on the move, I'd simply be more cautious on my initial applications of the brake rather than stage one.

EasyShifter

Postby EasyShifter » Sun Aug 28, 2016 7:14 am

The OP was about tips for a RoSPA test.
On my last RoSPA test I concluded my cockpit drill with 'I'm happy that I am familiar with the pedal-pressures to slow and stop this particular car, and the brakes don't pull to one side, grab or bind - if you'd like me to demonstrate a moving test I'm happy to do so when the opportunity occurs.' The examiner indicated that he was happy with things and I could omit the formality.
Whatever obtains in regular driving I certainly wouldn't start a test drive without at least mentioning the rolling brake test.
On my masters introductory session, my mentor did one at the start of his demo so when I drove I did likewise, commentating on what information I was gathering from it.
So my advice on a test would be to offer the RBT and show awareness of what it's for (which is more than just ensuring that the brakes stop the car).
Michael

Silk

Postby Silk » Sun Aug 28, 2016 2:52 pm

martine wrote:
Silk wrote:For what it's worth, I did do a MBT on the last test I took. The examiner commented on it because it's so rare for anyone to do it these days.

I actually agree with Silk on this. :shock: :lol:

Of course you do Martin. Where do you think I got all this stuff from in the first place? :lol:

ratty

Postby ratty » Mon Aug 29, 2016 11:13 am

Smeeagain wrote:In that case, look at my post from a week or so ago titled Rospa Test you need a police background to get gold ....

Have you contacted RoSPA about your findings?

Nothing will change posting it on here, you should contact their test department if you are not happy about an examiner's comments / attitude.

Smeeagain

Postby Smeeagain » Mon Aug 29, 2016 5:12 pm

It's done - I sat my test today and got a silver.

gannet

Postby gannet » Mon Aug 29, 2016 6:56 pm

Smeeagain wrote:It's done - I sat my test today and got a silver.

well done and congratulations :D

Return to “Advanced Driving - Cars”