Grip qualities of road surfaces

Topics relating to Advanced Driving in cars
GTR1400MAN

Re: Grip qualities of road surfaces

Postby GTR1400MAN » Sun Jun 19, 2016 9:54 pm

Stability control tech can cause strange feelings/sensations when it kicks in.
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

EasyShifter

Postby EasyShifter » Mon Jun 20, 2016 2:41 pm

GTR1400MAN wrote:Stability control tech can cause strange feelings/sensations when it kicks in.

IN my particular case I was nowhere near triggering the ESP, and the car was quite stable and well-balanced. I re-drove the bend in both directions several times with no problems except that it just didn't feel as positive. My suspicion was that maybe there was just a little less grip on the changed surface but not enough to cause problems but a warning to be heeded nonetheless.
Michael

TheInsanity1234

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Wed Jun 22, 2016 1:05 pm

EasyShifter wrote:
GTR1400MAN wrote:Stability control tech can cause strange feelings/sensations when it kicks in.

IN my particular case I was nowhere near triggering the ESP, and the car was quite stable and well-balanced. I re-drove the bend in both directions several times with no problems except that it just didn't feel as positive. My suspicion was that maybe there was just a little less grip on the changed surface but not enough to cause problems but a warning to be heeded nonetheless.

^ I had the same thing as EasyShifter. I wasn't rounding the bend so fast that ESP was having to keep me in line. This was a right hander which you could comfortably round at 35 to 40, and I was doing about 30 due to the limit point.

That's when I felt the change in steering, and it wasn't unnerving but it was something to be noted.

It says something about the Citigo's steering though, that I can tell slight differences in grip levels through the steering. It actually makes driving the Yeti feel like I'm turning the front wheels using the steering wheel, which is connected to the steering rack via yogurt.

The Yeti is so barge-like now after being used to my car.

It makes me wonder how I even happily nipped through Newbury Town traffic in the Yeti without blinking...

Return to “Advanced Driving - Cars”