Dual carriageway Speed

Topics relating to Advanced Driving in cars
akirk

Re: Dual carriageway Speed

Postby akirk » Wed Mar 02, 2016 4:13 pm

the only addition to the above would be zones where repeater signs may not bre required, but then everything in that zone should be the zone speed, until you exit the zone - that can include dual carriageways - e.g. in a residential area which is now a 20 zone, if the road is tree lined with a nice section of grass and trees up the middle, then it could be dual carriageway and 20mph :)

Alasdair

martine

Postby martine » Wed Mar 02, 2016 4:33 pm

akirk wrote:the only addition to the above would be zones where repeater signs may not bre required, but then everything in that zone should be the zone speed, until you exit the zone - that can include dual carriageways - e.g. in a residential area which is now a 20 zone, if the road is tree lined with a nice section of grass and trees up the middle, then it could be dual carriageway and 20mph :)

Alasdair

Yeah good point - forgot about 'zones'. I've never seen one that's not a 20 and by definition they must have traffic calming to reinforce the limit (i.e. bumps, chicanes etc). Anyone know of a dual carriageway that has speed bumps? :shock: :geek:
Martin - Bristol Advanced Motorists: IMI National Observer, Group Secretary, Masters (dist), DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)

akirk

Postby akirk » Wed Mar 02, 2016 5:26 pm

martine wrote:Anyone know of a dual carriageway that has speed bumps? :shock: :geek:

with the condition of roads around here - plenty :) the A417 / A419 definitely! though it is still 70mph and probably the bumps shouldn't be there!

not in terms of what we are discussing - in theory possible though...

Alasdair

Mini Spirit

Postby Mini Spirit » Wed Mar 02, 2016 6:26 pm

:idea: Thanks guys for your comments, it's amazing how much I'm still learning.
IAM F1RST

Pontoneer

Postby Pontoneer » Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:06 am

martine wrote:
Mini Spirit wrote:...I was under the impression that a speed limit of 70 usually applies to a dual carriageway unless A sign shows otherwise.

Yes but street lights always win...if they are present then the speed limit is 30 (if there are no repeater signs).

In Bristol the ring road has a multitude of speed limit changes but where you leave a 30 (roundabout) it has a pair of NSL signs signifying the change to 70...then because it has street lights there are regular NSL repeater signs to remind you it's not the default 30.

So the rules are pretty simple (on non-motorways):

• Street lights signify 30
  • No street lights - single carriageway 60
  • No street lights - dual 70
UNLESS signs indicate otherwise.

Any repeaters have to be every few hundred metres (depending on the limit) often alternating sides of the road. So if there are no repeaters for say 500m - then it's safe to assume the default speed limit as above.

Agreed , but - memory a bit hazy here - wasn't there something about the distance between the lamp posts too ?

I seem to recall they had to be no further than 44 yards apart before they implied a 30 limit ?

crr003

Postby crr003 » Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:20 pm

Pontoneer wrote:Agreed , but - memory a bit hazy here - wasn't there something about the distance between the lamp posts too ?

I seem to recall they had to be no further than 44 yards apart before they implied a 30 limit ?

not more than 200 yards (England &Wales) Current TSRGD refers to 183 metres.
185 metres (Scotland)

crr003

Postby crr003 » Sun Aug 06, 2017 2:14 pm

So if street lights=30, what's the speed limit here then?
https://goo.gl/maps/u4dzZVq4fa32

More generally, if you're on an unlit NSL and approaching a lit roundabout, is the roundabout limit 30 if no other signs are present?

Taffy

Postby Taffy » Sun Aug 06, 2017 3:18 pm

akirk wrote:the only addition to the above would be zones where repeater signs may not bre required, but then everything in that zone should be the zone speed, until you exit the zone - that can include dual carriageways - e.g. in a residential area which is now a 20 zone, if the road is tree lined with a nice section of grass and trees up the middle, then it could be dual carriageway and 20mph :)

Alasdair

And conversely, if it's a village called Slad in Gloucester, there are no street lights, and the limit is 30 mph. Felt very odd! Are there any others?

Pontoneer

Postby Pontoneer » Sun Aug 06, 2017 4:08 pm

crr003 wrote:So if street lights=30, what's the speed limit here then?

More generally, if you're on an unlit NSL and approaching a lit roundabout, is the roundabout limit 30 if no other signs are present?

I've never given it any thought , there are a number of roundabouts in my locality I can think of which fit that description , but due to the physical layout of those roundabouts , it would be impractical to negotiate them at much more than 30 , and preferably less , without throwing the car sideways to do so !

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Sun Aug 06, 2017 4:30 pm

crr003 wrote:So if street lights=30, what's the speed limit here then?

NSL

Street lights + built up area = 30mph ... but even this at times is hard to decide sometimes on ring roads. Just got to look out for the speed limit signs where the limit changes. I can't think of an instance where you'd go from 40/50 or NSL to 30 without a sign and just designated by lighting.
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

Return to “Advanced Driving - Cars”