Dual carriageway Speed

Topics relating to Advanced Driving in cars
GTR1400MAN

Re: Dual carriageway Speed

Postby GTR1400MAN » Sun Aug 06, 2017 4:32 pm

How could I overtake on RABs if they were all 30mph? ;) Image
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

crr003

Postby crr003 » Sun Aug 06, 2017 4:51 pm

GTR1400MAN wrote:
crr003 wrote:So if street lights=30, what's the speed limit here then?
https://goo.gl/maps/u4dzZVq4fa32

NSL

Street lights + built up area = 30mph ... but even this at times is hard to decide sometimes on ring roads. Just got to look out for the speed limit signs where the limit changes. I can't think of an instance where you'd go from 40/50 or NSL to 30 without a sign and just designated by lighting.

Yes but - the phrase in common usage is "street lights = 30"

No one's mentioned Terminal Signs (well, you just did) - did their use disappear with TRSGD 2016?

martine

Postby martine » Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:11 pm

GTR1400MAN wrote:I can't think of an instance where you'd go from 40/50 or NSL to 30 without a sign and just designated by lighting.

Yeah I think they have to have 'gateway' signs for each new speed limit...it's just after that, the street lights obviate the need for repeators in a 30.

From my experience of doing National Driver Alertness Courses (NDAC), it seems many drivers are very confused about how to determine the speed limit. Many talk of 'built-up areas' being 30 but don't appreciate it's the street lights that indicate 'built-up-ness'. Also many think the NSL on dual carriageway is 60 for cars and when asked, often think a dual carriageway is a 2-lane road. :roll:
Martin - Bristol Advanced Motorists: IMI National Observer, Group Secretary, Masters (dist), DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)

Return to “Advanced Driving - Cars”