Would you?

Topics relating to Advanced Driving in cars
StressedDave

Would you?

Postby StressedDave » Sun Feb 14, 2016 2:20 pm

Go for the overtake based on the information. Camera has a 118 degree field so has about the same range as the human eyeball but tends to lengthen distances a bit.

Workings out required...

All posts are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License. Do what you like with it, just don't make money off it.

Gareth

Re: Would you?

Postby Gareth » Sun Feb 14, 2016 3:44 pm

I'd say it would not have been possible to do it safely without breaking the speed limit. At the point the solid white line ends, the following car is already over 50 mph - I think that less than 10 mph of headroom means the pass would take a lot more than half the available vision. If the speed limit is to be ignored, then the passing point would probably be at the lowest point of the road, where most water is likely to gather.
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...

angus

Postby angus » Sun Feb 14, 2016 3:47 pm

In the dry, possibly.

In those conditions, in the SoD, nah

StressedDave

Postby StressedDave » Sun Feb 14, 2016 5:15 pm

Gareth wrote:I'd say it would not have been possible to do it safely without breaking the speed limit. At the point the solid white line ends, the following car is already over 50 mph - I think that less than 10 mph of headroom means the pass would take a lot more than half the available vision. If the speed limit is to be ignored, then the passing point would probably be at the lowest point of the road, where most water is likely to gather.

Not the question asked - would you? and preferably without the sanctimonious bit.
All posts are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License. Do what you like with it, just don't make money off it.

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Sun Feb 14, 2016 5:17 pm

I assume the standing water (or lack of grunt) is why it was declined, so probably in the same car, in the same conditions, no.
Nick

Gareth

Postby Gareth » Sun Feb 14, 2016 7:20 pm

StressedDave wrote:Not the question asked - would you?

No, for the reasons given. At least I'd like to think I'd decline.

StressedDave wrote:and preferably without the sanctimonious bit.

You're asking others to state they're willing to break the speed limit on an open forum without having the courage to say so yourself?

Anyway, you asked for reasoning and I gave it.
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...

StressedDave

Postby StressedDave » Sun Feb 14, 2016 7:41 pm

Gareth wrote:
StressedDave wrote:and preferably without the sanctimonious bit.

You're asking others to state they're willing to break the speed limit on an open forum without having the courage to say so yourself

Fair enough, no I wouldn't irrespective of the speed limit, my choice in whether to exceed it or not, nor the performance characteristics of the car and the speed of the target vehicle.

Reason? The straight line performance isn't the issue. The distance that would be used up between the point where a suitable view and the point where you could actually pull the trigger on the overtake is such that you'd have to be very brave and/or stupid to go for it if you imagine that a quick driver would hove into view just as you went toe-down.

martine

Postby martine » Sun Feb 14, 2016 8:56 pm

Dunno...difficult to truly judge without being there but probably not. I'm pretty conservative in overtaking and I have an aversion to moving off-side when a right-hand bend is coming up next.

Got any more, suitable vid clips?
Martin - Bristol Advanced Motorists: IMI National Observer, Group Secretary, Masters (dist), DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)

waremark

Postby waremark » Sun Feb 14, 2016 11:32 pm

Well, I am the first to say yes. The double white line system ends at 14 seconds, with a view to the top of the hill which we reach at 30 seconds. I think that is long enough even at the higher speed I would need (if I had a speed limit exemption). My only concern is the standing water at the bottom of the hill, but I would have completed my acceleration before reaching that point.

waremark

Postby waremark » Sun Feb 14, 2016 11:37 pm

That is a 400m view (is my maths approximately correct?). SD, with the benefit of exemptions, how long a view would you want to overtake from a 50 mph follow?

Return to “Advanced Driving - Cars”